What long tailed breed would you suggest for being a good pet?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantamFan4Life, Sep 25, 2012.

1. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    What long tailed breed would you suggest for being a good pet?

2. Kagu

Kagu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    None.

A long tail is not a 'pet'. I mean, you can enjoy them as one, but a long tail requires special requirements because of their long tail. They don't do good with other breeds, because of the long tail. Thats why you have them in small groups. Unless you can give them the special care they need for their tail, they don;t make good pets.

That said, there are many breeds that are similar to long tails, but don't have a long tail. If you like the long tail, you will have to be able to give it special requirements. They need perches, special food (a lot of long tails can't ingest large amounts of corn), the males need a couple years to grow out, etc. Plus, a lot of people won't sell long tails to some people who want them as pets only to call a week later "Yeah a hawk got my birds..." (not saying that you would, but thats what breeders hate the most).

Theres NOTHING wrong with wanting them for pets, but you have to realize, theres a commitment

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by