What lulls parakeets to sleep?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by yankeedoodle300, Sep 15, 2011.

1. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    I have 3 parakeets, 2 boys, 1 girl. they have been waking up in the middle of the night lately, and what lulls them to sleep other than silence? [​IMG]

2. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    We kept our parakeets outside in an aviary and whenever I went out there at night (around 9 or 10) they would be very quiet. I think it's just the dark that keeps them quiet, but I don't know if they woke up in the middle of the night. We didn't have them indoors, so can't really answer your question.

3. yankeedoodle300

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    That's o.k. Mine are indoors. [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Bed time for the bird room is about 10:30 every night, and up time is 8:30 am. I just close the blinds, tell them all good night, cover cages, and close the door. They are always quiet and sleep through the night. In the morning before up time I sometimes hear them eating or chattering. When the tiel hears me wake up, he'll let out a loud peep but waits till I wake them all up. He's only had two night freights but I just talk to him and put him to bed again.

5. yankeedoodle300

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    thank you, but what if you can't cover them, or dont want to? [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well... I can and do cover them . [​IMG] It keeps them on a good year round schedule that doesn't have them waking us up at 5am in the summers.

If you don't try, you won't know the effects.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by