What makes a good roost pole or poles?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WVjoe, Jan 15, 2013.

1. WVjoe

WVjoe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    I am planning on useing 2 " wooden dowel rods for my roosts, but i have seen several posts that say the best roost poles are made of matrials that are not round or smooth or slick like smoothly sanded store bought dowels. So i guess my question is, Are my 2" dowels a good roost pole matrial, or should i go with something els? maybe 2x4's or tree branches? thanks, im a newbie and i want to get it right the first time so im not freezing my u-know-whats of in the middle of january changeing roost poles with the chickens lauging at me [​IMG]

2. Dnetschke

Dnetschke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Berthoud, CO
    I'm planning to use tree branches. They are free.... [​IMG]

3. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I use 2x4's and 2x3's. They can rest easier and be able to fluff up their feathers and cover their toes

4. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    i gave my birds a choice between 2x4s and natural thick branches. Everyone of my chickens prefer the natural wood. Bark and all. I took the 2x4s out and added more branches. I do think they need to be atleast 2 inches thick or more.

1 person likes this.
  5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Don't use dowels. It's actually really difficult for hens to roost on something that's completely round, and you can cause foot problems. Dowels also don't let them tuck their feet up under their feathers very well in cold weather, and you can get frozen toes.

Try a piece of 2x2 or 2x4 dimensional lumber. Your hens will rest easier.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  6. WVjoe

WVjoe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks every one i really apreciate it!

7. baxamama

baxamama New Egg

Jan 10, 2013
    Stupid question. How do you clean the poo off tree branches? Do chickens poo in their sleep?

8. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I dont clean the branches I have in the run. They havent gotten them dirty at all. Yes they poo in their sleep

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I don't clean mine. They get some poo on them, but it's not caked on and I don't see it as a problem. They will poo in their sleep. If you can, stagger your perches so that if you have a lower one, the hens aren't pooping on the ones below. You can also build your perch like an A-frame, which solves this problem. Mine is hinged at the top, so it folds up and gets out of the way for cleaning:

[​IMG]

10. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    I was wondering the same thing and this looks great! The wooden branches sound great to!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by