What makes a good treat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggcamefirst, May 28, 2011.

1. eggcamefirst

eggcamefirst Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    So I have three day olds with 3 more on the way in a week. What kind of treats can they have at this age and beyond (say until about 5 weeks)?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Common first treats are a small mount of live culture plain yogurt mixed with a little of the feed or a bit of scrambled or hard boiled egg.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    If you are going to feed any that must be broken down by the "chewing" action of the crop, things like grass, grains, solid fruits & vegetables, you need to make sure that grit is introduced into their diet. The grit needs to be extremely small. I'd recommend you buy grit specifically packaged for chicks. I usually wait 3 weeks before feeding anything that falls into that category.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    My girls love a little canned pumpkin each day. It's a soft food so I don't believe grit is needed.

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I ground whole oats (literally about 1 tablespoon) in the mini food processor and give once every few days. Makes the poo a bit less runny, at least that's the hope. I do a tiny bit of yogurt too. Mostly, they are fine and happy with the regular chick starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by