1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What makes a mini-farm commercial?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by TroyerGal, Apr 9, 2016.

1. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey y'all!
    So... i currently have 15 adult egg laying hens, 24 egg laying chicks, 1 adult rooster, 1 baby rooster, about 54 meat bird chicks and 4 ducklings. I want to breed Lavender Orpingtons to sell, and I want to know if that would be considered commercial... We got our HOA rules changed and we are now allowed to have any farm animals! [​IMG] But we can not farm commercially.
    Would selling a few chicks on Craigslist or in the paper be considered commercial??

Thanks so much!!

2. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    I believe it depends on how many you plan on selling and what profits may be. I think craigslist is personal selling, not commercial (commercial would be a larger deal) Any way you can check with your extension to be sure?

3. TroyerGal

Thanks :) I just want to sell the occasional surplus critter... or my Orpingtons[​IMG]

4. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Your welcome. That's not commercial-no major deal-so you're fine. I'm getting Orpingtons:) I know I'm gonna want more you can always let me know. We are starting 'small' then growing fast.

5. TroyerGal

We are starting big! we have over 80 birds already... and most are chicks still :)

btw, I just realized you have been replying to all my posts today :D LOL

1 person likes this.
  6. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Amazing!! I wanted to but my dang coop is rediculuous-for right now haaha. Hope that's alright ?! Hubs said 'don't go crazy w chicks this year or anything', so adding 3 or 6 more to the number shouldn't be crazy--right?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  7. TroyerGal

Haha... I don't really even have a coop yet :)
    We are a little chicken crazy around here!!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  8. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    We got one in 2013 and once we put it together, we knew it was way to small for what I wanted to do. We put it back together last week-hubby said for 3 yrs how much he hates it and I hate it even more-it is even smaller than I thought. Especially now that the chicks are really coming!! He said he'll have to put something together before they go outside full time. Technically they could be free range but we have a very large field run area/as we live in the country on a small farm and to call them back in could be impossible-but I'm gonna work on that. So we really just need large coop now. Ahh sorry for the book lol

9. TroyerGal

No problem :)
    We are building a chicken tractor for inside of our chicken pen... we also live in the country but the chickens haven't seemed to stray too far [​IMG]

10. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    I am HOPING that's what he has in mind, but who knows really lol? He did like the idea yrs ago. I'd have them stable though during winter, closer to the house and away from the wind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by