what makes a red sex-link chicken

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Taylor, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    next year all I want is red-sex links, do you know waht i cross to get them that aly big dark brown eggs?

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    rhode island red roo, white rock hen or rhode island white hen or delaware hen or white jersey giant hen.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  3. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    what about a leghorn hen????

4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    There's quite a few differrent breeds you can croos to get Red or Gold sex-links.

RIR, New Hampshire or Production red roosters over White Rock, RIWhite, Delaware, Silver-laced Wyandottes, Light Sussex, Columbian Rock/Wyandotte all will produce a sex-link chicks at hatch that the hens are red or red/white and are all good brown egglayers.

Now if you want a primo brown egglaying sex-link, order them from a hatchery that specializes in breeding them for production as there is a differnce in the parent stock. They are bred from production breed lines specifically bred for peak egg production.

catdaddy

5. catdaddyfro

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:You can use a White leghorn hen as long as the white is not dominant white or you'll end up with all white chicks and they aren't sexable by color and also will dillute the dark brown shell color to a beige/tinted light brown color.

6. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    my experience with a red sex link did not produce a dark brown egg ( large, yes, prolific layer, DEFINATELY! by far have OUTLAID any other breed i have owned) but dark brown???? ummmm..... maybe you should think maran?

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Red rooster(NH or RIR) X white rock hen = golden comets (brown egg layers) males ok for meat

Red rooster(NH or RIR) X White leghorn = red star (tinted eggs) males not much meat

There are other like golden queen, but top two are most common both great layers , red star male not great to butcher.

8. catdaddyfro

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:All of my hatchery type sex-links lay an exceptionaly dark egg compared to my other brown egg layers and from the eggs others have posted on here, their's laid pretty dark eggs also. More Terra-cotta colored, not chocolate like the Marans and ect...

9. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    what about a rir roo and a white maran hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by