1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Makes A Show Quality Silkie? ADDED PICS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Laurajean, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    **I added pics for those who asked.

Forgive me if this has been asked or for my ignorance in general, I know nothing about showing chickens and I don't ever visit this section.

I'm not planning to show my Silkies, as I'm sure they are NOT show quality. But I got thinking about it and wondering. I've seen pictures of GORGEOUS Silkies, all fluffy with giant head poofs, etc. Then I look at MY Silkies and think they must have pulled them from the discount bin. [​IMG] Don't get me wrong, I love them very much, but they look scraggly and pathetic compared to so many pics I've seen. Their "head poofs" (there's probably a proper term for that) are not huge like pictures I've seen, they're pretty small, and they just have an overall scraggly look compared to pics I see of others. They are healthy, a good weight, very clean and well cared for with a super spacious coop, so it's not poor health. They just don't seem as "fancy" as others I've seen.

So anyway, I'm just curious. I assume mine just have lousy genetics, show quality-wise at least, but are there certain standards for show quality Silkies, and what are they? Certain attributes that make a show Silkie? I'd love an education on this, thanks!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    You can start by reading this: http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org/standard.asp

I'm
    sure those who show Silkies will chime in and give more info! [​IMG]

Where did you get your Silkies? Are they hatchery stock or did you get them from a breeder? That makes a world of difference!

1 person likes this.
  3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I wish that site Peep posted had photos/drawings with the descriptors. So according to this:
    Disqualifications:
    * More or less than 5 toes
    * Absence of beard or muffs.
    * Shanks not feathered down outer sides
    See APA Standard for Other DQs and cuts

You cannot show a beardless silkie???

4. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    You can show beardless silkies, they just have different qualifications. Look under "wattles" in the link above.

5. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    I would love to see pics!!!! Have any?

6. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

There are bearded and nonbearded varieties

Basically, when choosing which bird to show or breed from I go by certain things - not in order I look at........

Color of feathers & skin
    Bird size
    Comb type and size - I make sure no horns on the comb & it is a walnut comb that is mulberry in color
    Crest size - some have poofier crests than others, and nonbearded silkies tend to have smaller crests in my experience.
    Toes - I look for # of toes first. Spacing between the last 2 toes plays a small role in my decision making, but not as much as lack of toes or too many toes.
    Feather Legs - Nice feathering down leg and middle toe
    Wings - I look for wings held tight and high on the body, and not too much nor too little shredding
    Tail - A nice poofy cushion, without hard feathers, or with few hard feathers
    Ears - turquoise ears

I probably missed something. Not had enough coffee yet

Hatchery stock looks a lot different than show stock IMO.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  7. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    I'm not sure about show quality. I bought mine froma local breeder.
    These are my new babies! Just a few weeks old. Not sure about sex yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:How old are they? Sillkies get "poofier" as they mature, assuming the genetics are there. For example here is a three week old, followed by her mother who is seven months old:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    A general reply to a few different posts....

Yes, I did get them from a hatchery. I never had ANY intention of showing them and still don't, I'm only curious about the differences. I KNOW mine aren't show quality for sure. [​IMG] I just wanted bantams as pets so ordered a "featherfooted bantam assortment". Ended up with five Silkies, A Mille Fleur D' Uccle, and a Cochin. The D'Uccle and Cochin are beautiful, not sure if they're "show quality" or not, but they're very nice. The Silkies are really kind of laughable, but I do love them anyway.

They are a year and a month old today, actually.

I *think* one is bearded, and I don't think the rest are. Right now all their head poofs are extra scraggly thanks to the Roo, who is also a Silkie. [​IMG]

I gotta run out now for an appointment, but I'll try to find some pics to post of them when I get back. You can't laugh at them though, it will hurt their momma's feelings. [​IMG]

Oh, and they DO at least all have five toes.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  10. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'll bet they are GREAT broodies!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by