1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What makes hen lay a green egg??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rasorback, Feb 20, 2013.

1. rasorback

rasorback New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    Just want to say this is not my first post here. I could log in today and do not have access to the old email account to receive my password. So I just signed up again.

Anyways last summer I hatched out 2 hatches of chicks. These eggs came from old birds that were only producing off white and light brown eggs. Also one Americana hen that produced a green egg. I think at the first hatch the Americana chick was sold (Not even sure of the sex) Remember it was black in color, like the mother. The second hatch I think the green egg hatched but died a day or 2 later. Again it was black.
    In the later fall when the old birds started to slow down their laying I sold them off , keeping the one green egg layer we had.
    So now most of the young layers are starting to lay we now get one dark brown egg and 2 off whites eggs and the rest are green Up to 5 a day.
    Where did they come from??

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    just keep an eye on any and all Pea combed Hens. you have 95% chance one of them is/are the Culprit...

3. rasorback

rasorback New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    Where did the green gene come from????

4. rasorback

rasorback New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    7 greens eggs today.
    1 brown 3 little brown

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by