What makes some eggs "freckled"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lesa, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My nephews are fascinated with the chickens and their eggs. They are especially enamored with the "freckled" ones. I only have RIR's, and I only get freckled eggs occasionally. They all free range, so I am assuming some of them eat something that changes the shell of the egg... Is it dirt, stone... What do you think. I have 24 chickens and I am continually amazed at the different colors of the eggs. Thanks for helping the "chicken lady" answer her nephews questions!

2. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Hello
    Considering that you have RIR's my guess would that it's some of the pigment that gives color to the shell.

I have several breeds and at least two do this once in a while. Just yesterday I actually saw it happen with my Wyandotte.

Over time you will probably see many egg oddities. Chickens never cease to amaze me.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I have no idea why they are freckled sometimes, but my hens do the same thing. I also have RIR's. And they come in different shades sometimes too. [​IMG]

4. crzychickenlady

crzychickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    This is interesting.

I had the same question, but I figured it was the breed on mine.

I have a Speckled Sussex that lays these eggs often, I just figured that they were sposed to be that way, lol..........

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I noticed after I fed my chickens veggies with BUTTER that there were alot of speckeled eggs after that. Butter isn't the best for them and they only got those leftover veggies cause I didn't want to throw them away.

I'm betting the butter had something to do with it. Give it a try if you want to test - just some veggies with butter melted on em. And letus know. [​IMG]

6. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Never fed the chickies butter, and I get speckled ones from time to time.

[​IMG]

7. mksenoj

mksenoj Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    UpState, New York
    I've had the same question. Couldn't find answer.

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I've heard from egg producers that it is stress related.

9. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    My chickens have the life of riley and they still pop out a freckled one here and there...

10. tanekahachicken

tanekahachicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Titirangi, Auckland, NZ
    I get speckled eggs from my light sussex cross every day, and the other chickens (mixed breeds of some kind) only pop out a speckled one from time to time. I thought it was just the breed too with the light sussex. They seem to have a good life free ranging everywhere with no predators so I'm hoping it's not due to stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by