1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What makes your peeps happy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3crazychicksOH, Mar 13, 2013.

1. 3crazychicksOH

3crazychicksOH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    Hello to all,

I am a new chick mommy to 6 week old buff orps and blk lorps! I just finished building my chicken coop. Before moving them to their new forever house in the backyard, I was wondering what routine would make my girls most happy?

I want to hear every ones routine and how they go about making their chicks happiest! pictures of your happy chicks are a must!

please give me good advice to keep my girls as happy and healthy chickens!

Thanks,

your Crazy Chick from OH [​IMG]

pic of my girls:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I must follow this!

3. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    It doesn't really take a lot to make chickens happy. lol. As long has they have clean water, food, and shelter, they are pretty happy. As for my girls and one boy, they stay in the coop during the day and when I get home in the afternoons, I let them out to free range. You didn't mention whether or not yours will be able to free range.? I gather eggs in the afternoons and give them some scratch or leftovers from the kitchen (as a snack of course..they have layer pellets available at all times).
    Now during the summer, I usually go out in the mornings and open the gate so they get to free range all day during the summer.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd have to say the thing that makes my birds happiest is MEAT! Little dinosaur beasties.

They also really love tomatoes, and in the fall after the first 35 degree night when the tomatoes still look good but don't taste good any more, they get this:

[​IMG]

5. 3crazychicksOH

Mar 5, 2013
    Thanks for the advise PSJ!

Its good to know its easy to care for a small flock- just food and water (add a little bit of treats) and the girls are happy! I live in an urban setting so my

flock will be contained in a run.. however the run is open at the top (6ft. fencing) until I put some type of roofing on it (summer project).... only thing I worry about is the hawks during the day [​IMG]

6. 3crazychicksOH

Mar 5, 2013
    Walking on Sunshine,

[​IMG]...... too funny, love the pic. (got a good laugh at it, guess this is what I have to look forward to!)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  7. PSJ

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    my run has chicken wire on top. it is tall though... im 5'7" and can stand up in it. the sides of my run are chicken wire with hardware cloth going from the bottom up a few feet. This is to keep little coon hands from reaching in. Sorry little suckers.

8. 3crazychicksOH

Mar 5, 2013
    PSJ,

Have any pics of your chicken run? I would love to see what it looks like!

9. PSJ

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    I don't, but I can take some. It isn't anything fancy... We are out in the middle of the country, so it doesn't have to be pretty.. It just has to do its job. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by