What Marans bloodlines produce feather-legs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TerriLaChicks, Dec 12, 2008.

1. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I have 5 Marans I hatched (naturally w/my luck, 3 are roos) out of bloodlines of Fugate, Ackroyd, Fitch Ripley---are one of these lines more prone to produce feather-legs? because one of my young roos is noticeably taller than the rest & has feather legs--I think he is going to be the keeper. He is the only one w/feather legs.

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    from what I understand, most feather leg genes are dominant, or incompletely dominant, and if you see it, they should be able to pass it on. There are some recessive feather leg genes, but dominant is far more common.

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Thank you---I thought I remembered reading the feather leg gene was dominant---

what I am wondering, however, is there a particular bloodline (for example, Fugate) which is more prone to produce feather legs?

What bloodlines are the French Marans versus the clean legged lines that I understand were developed in England? is that right?

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I think it doesn't matter, since it is a dominant gene, it can be introduced into any bloodline in one generation, which makes it not a specific trait to any one type or bloodline. It would be like asking what bloodline of cochins has frizzle? Answer: any bloodline you breed a frizzle to. (sorry to all the people that think their feather legs makes their birds "special" or "better" than non-feathered. Anyone can "feather up" their flock by buying one roo, one time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by