What Marans colors can be bred together?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sunnydt, Mar 12, 2012.

1. sunnydt

sunnydt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Can someone please tell me what colors of the French Copper Marans can be bred together to make what? All I know is that black blue and splash can be together and make true black, true blue and splash. Thank you for any information.

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You can combine them with any color if you are experimenting, but Copper does not work in the same way as the other colors you listed. If you mixed a BCM with other colors, you'd get a mishmash, as opposed to a specific breed result.

3. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Ok so blue and black will not work? I thought that would make true black or true blue or splash

4. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Ok I have researched this a bit and here is what I have found.

"you can run the birds together and still get purebred Black Copper Marans and purebred Blue Copper Marans. The blue color gene is a variant of the black color gene, they occupy the same loci on the chromosome. Think of the blue color gene as a dilution gene. It dilutes out the black color. Gray is a dilute black."

So I will be breeding the two together.

ps. I am currently taking orders for black, blue, splash ameraucana hatching eggs. http://sunnys.insytz.org

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by