What materials do you use for your roof,

Churkenduse

Songster
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
Hi,
I made a great coop, excuse my modesty,
big_smile.png
but I didn't finish the roof, I threw up some roofing paper but do not know what to do. My coop in 4X8 any suggestions? It can't be too heavy, not more than the standard sheet of ply wood, that is about all I can handle. Thanks
frow.gif

I LOVE our run's roof! It is made of lightweight, clear, corrugated plastic. (You can also get it opaque for the henhouse part to keep it dark). Called Sun-Tuf. It is very light yet has stood up GREAT to all the heavy wet snow we've had this winter.

coopfinished.jpg

Last edited:
We have tin on ours too. It's around $13-$15 a sheet at Home Depot and Lowe's for a 2x8' piece.

BTW Ours was recycled from a barn that was torn down, and the wood was recycled from a building my hubby tore down for a neigbor. We have less than $200 in an 8x8 coop.

Last edited:
My tractor has, prepare to laugh, a roof of 1/2" exterior plywood covered with a clear vinyl shower curtain. A *used* vinyl shower curtain in fact. A heavy-duty one, though, does that make it sound any better?
tongue.png

Chicken-Tractor-033.jpg

Yes, I can hear you laughing
wink.png

It is currently sitting in the garage but survived 3 months of use last year with nary a sign of ageing or damage. I would like to think I can get at least another 6 months out of it. After that, I will either have to find another retired shower curtain <g> or switch to some sort of more sensible material. I keep hoping I'll come across a scrap of the adhesive stuff they use as ice-and-water barrier on the lower edges of roofs under the shingles.

I am not really suggesting you permanently roof your coop with shower curtains of course
wink.png
but if you want time to ponder your options it might be useful. I just stretched it tight and staplegunned the edges (folded for strength) to the underside of the roof plywood.

If it were me I'd either put roofing paper over the plywood, or some thin lightweight tin (you can use recycled, BUT you will have to use or caulk all the nailholes, and depending on the construction of your roof you may have some issues with nails/screws sticking thru the plywood to menace your chickens' heads, so plan ahead to avoid that if you want to use tin).

Pat

Great ideas all of you,
SeaChick that looks great, yes I would need the opague, like the look.
I went to Home Depot but they didn't have that size, I will look again that is also great, they just opened a Home Depot soooo close.
frow.gif

Patandchickens, that is inovative, I am not laughing, I did think of that "tile board" they install in some bathrooms. Nice look
smile.png

Last edited:
I had to call around and ask EVERY SINGLE building-supply/lumber place before I found Sun-Tuf. There is another brand that Home Depot sometimes carries but it's like $40 per sheet... too expensive! I finally found someone who would special-order the Sun-Tuf for me. It cost about $90 for our 8 x 12 roof, including tax, so that is about $15 per sheet (sheets are slightly wider than 2 x 8, to allow for the overlap). They recommended all sorts of special fasteners and pieces to fill the gaps under the corrugated peaks, but since it's a chicken run, we didn't use any. Just pre-drilled and used regular decking screws and washers, and a glob of silicone, set into cross-pieces made of cheap strapping.

Here's the product web site with D-I-Y installation advice if you want to do it "right"! http://www.suntuf.com/

Stacey

Quote:
We did have to get roof patching gunk (I don't know what it was, my hubby did it) for about $3, but that was much cheaper than putting $60 in the tin.
big_smile.png

BTW, I don't think there is anything to laugh at with your tractor, if it works go for it!!

I have a regular shingled roof. Plywood, with the roof paper, and then shingles. It was a nice was for me to learn to put up shingles.

Back
Top Bottom