What *may* these chicks look like?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NoraJeann, Mar 27, 2016.

1. NoraJeann

NoraJeann Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    I have a silver ameraucana roo breeding with various hens, barred rock, silver laced wyandotte, RIR, Welsummer,Blue Maran,and a really pretty easter egger that looks like a silver sebright.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If he really is a Silver Ameraucana, and not an Easter Egger, you can count on that 'silver' coloring to get passed on to all of his chicks. The barred Rock hens should produce black sexlinks. Most of the chicks should have pea combs. The Wyandotte mix chicks will have a cushion comb. The Blue Marans may produce chicks that are similar to Black Coppers, but will have silver instead of 'copper' coloring.
    If the rooster really is Ameraucana, you can count on green or olive laying pullets.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    those could be might nice chicks then....

4. NoraJeann

Mar 13, 2016
    Why are ameraucanas always assumed to be just EE mixes?Are they that hard to find? I am fairly certain he is a true ameraucana he passed all sob in 4-h.

Thanks I'm hoping so.

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I've seen Easter Eggers shown as Ameraucana, win their class in 4-H shows. It's not the birds that are getting judged...
    If you got him from a feed store or hatchery, then he's an Easter Egger.
    True Ameraucana are a rare breed. Silver Ameraucana are one of the rarest varieties. They can only be obtained from a breeder.

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you post a picture I might be able to solve the 'Is he Ameraucana' question.

7. shanadienne

shanadienne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    Massachusetts, USA
    To add my two cents, this may not hold true for a real Ameraucana but when I crossed an easter egger and a RIR, I was able to sex the chicks pretty much the day they were hatched based on leg color. Males had yellow legs like their mother, females had legs like their father. The rule also applied to easter egger x Japanese bantam, though I couldn't tell the colors apart until they were older.

8. NoraJeann

Mar 13, 2016
    He is probably just an EE then, I ordered him from a hatchery. Which isn't too terrible, just makes things less easy to predict.lol I'll see if I have a picture,cracked the camera lense on my phone.

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    HIm being an Easter Egger makes things very unpredictable. You have no way of knowing what has been bred in, and you have know idea what he may be carrying. And you have no idea if he is pure for the blue egg gene, or only has one copy of the gene.

10. NoraJeann

Mar 13, 2016
    I guess we will just have to wait and see in a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by