What medication if any do you recommend for baby chicks in the water?

snaffle

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2009
Illinois
I have some chicks that are about 3 weeks old. One or two seem to not be thriving. They are beginning to droop their wings. What should I be putting in the drinking water?

you can put chick saver ( electrolyte powder) into the water that will give them a boost.
smile.png

I've never used anything but the vitamin/electrolyte starter. Usually start a little light of the full recommended dosage if everyone's well on arrival. (If not, a little sugar in the water the first day or two in addition to the V/E mixture has always worked just fine to get them over any travel stress. (Keeping in mind that they will grow in spurts) I usually lay off of it after the first week or so, but keep it on hand to supplement the water if they seem to be slowing down due to any heat or other stress.

Dropping their wings? Are you sure they aren't too hot? Chicks (and grown chickens!) will often hold their wings out or down as a way to cool themselves.

I think you can use some pedialyte if you don't have the powder. A bunch of my new chickies have pasty butt, so I added polyvisol without iron in their water. Also ACV works great, but it needs to be the good one with the Mother, like Braggs organic.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom