What medication if any do you recommend for baby chicks in the water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snaffle, Sep 5, 2011.

1. snaffle

snaffle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Illinois
    I have some chicks that are about 3 weeks old. One or two seem to not be thriving. They are beginning to droop their wings. What should I be putting in the drinking water?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

you can put chick saver ( electrolyte powder) into the water that will give them a boost.[​IMG]

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:ditto [​IMG]

4. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    I've never used anything but the vitamin/electrolyte starter. Usually start a little light of the full recommended dosage if everyone's well on arrival. (If not, a little sugar in the water the first day or two in addition to the V/E mixture has always worked just fine to get them over any travel stress. (Keeping in mind that they will grow in spurts) I usually lay off of it after the first week or so, but keep it on hand to supplement the water if they seem to be slowing down due to any heat or other stress.

5. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:what is the vitamin/electrolyte starter?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Dropping their wings? Are you sure they aren't too hot? Chicks (and grown chickens!) will often hold their wings out or down as a way to cool themselves.

7. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I think you can use some pedialyte if you don't have the powder. A bunch of my new chickies have pasty butt, so I added polyvisol without iron in their water. Also ACV works great, but it needs to be the good one with the Mother, like Braggs organic.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by