What medication in feed is better?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bigspringshatchery, Oct 25, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I can get two different chick starter and both have different medication in them. One has Amprolium and the other has Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate. Which one of these is better or are they pretty much the same?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The amprolium is for cocci and the BMD is for respiratory stuff. I think the later is given mostly to pheasants.

I wouldn't recommend giving birds medication if they aren't sick. The amprolium isn't really a med in the true meaning of the word.

3. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I meat these two meds are in the feed. So what food would be better

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Still the same answer.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    If unmedicated feed is not available, go with the one that has the Amprolium. It will help prevent problems with the parasite Coccidia.

The Bacitracin stuff is an antibiotic and NOT a good idea - they are not the same at all. Usually the antibiotic feeds are for game birds or turkeys, not domestic chickens.

6. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    The BMD is in the chick starter I get from my co op. It's mainly the only feed I've used for 3 years. So it's no good for chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by