What medicine do I use for a sore spot on a hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HiDesertChickens, Aug 1, 2010.

1. HiDesertChickens

HiDesertChickens New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    I have 14 hens of various breeds. My husband found one of my RIRs getting "picked on" by the rest. She has had some feathers pulled out and has a bloody spot on her about the size of a quarter. We put her in quarantine in a dog kennel with food and water but she is getting antsy to get out. Can I doctor her up with something on hand or should I get something from the feed store? Thanks!

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Feedstore carries Nu-stock, it's a sulphur based wound salve for horses. It really works, & the sulphur taste should keep the others from picking on her anymore.

3. HiDesertChickens

HiDesertChickens New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    Thank you! I will get some first thing tomorrow morning

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I've had good luck cleaning wounds with Iodine.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:Ditto...great stuff and is supposed to help speed new hair or feather growth. It worked wonders on two of my CX chicks that had injuries.

6. HiDesertChickens

HiDesertChickens New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    My local feed store didn't have the Nu-stock so they recommended a salve called Ichthammol instead. It's a nasty looking salve that can be used for skin irriations. I washed my chicken in the kitchen sink, something that grossed my daughter out terribly but I scoured the sink later and threw away the sponge. She actually enjoyed her warm bubble bath! The feed store also said to use some hydrogen peroxide on her so I used that and then used the salve. She looks to be healing up great but she does NOT like being quarantined one bit! She just started to lay her eggs but I guess being quarantined has her so uptight until she pecked at her egg today. My husband and I let her out to mingle with the flock for a bit this evening. The other hens didn't even notice her wound with it being covered in salve. That stinky stuff is the same color as her feathers. If she continues to heal up nicely we will consider letting her out of jail this weekend. Thanks for all the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by