What Might Be the Issue... and Would You Eat This Turkey?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jaku, Aug 10, 2010.

1. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a batch of 18 week old Broad Breasted White turkeys that I'm getting ready to butcher. However, for the past several weeks, there is a hen that pretty much lays down all the time. She can stand, rarely does, and never walks around. There are no visible injuries, except on her head there are what looks like some scabby healing injuries. I've had her isolated for about a week, and she is eating and drinking, but VERY little. I know birds aren't known for their long, drawn out illnesses, but I would have thought an injury would have healed by now. Any ideas? I hate to lose a full grown bird, but I don't want to eat one that is sick either.
    Thanks!

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I only have 5 turkeys, so my experience with them isn't too extensive however, I'm wondering if maybe her legs just are too weak for her body mass. If there's no visible signs like sneezing, coughing, runny nose, etc. I don't think that I would suspect an illness. Her scabby/healy things could just be from one of the others picking on her because she is more docile.

Hopefully somebody else will chime in here...........[​IMG]

3. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    No experience at all with them , other than observing another completely inexperienced guy raise them . I wondered if the BBTs didn't suffer some of the same problems as the CX and it sounds like they might .

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree, also lacking the experience.
    I just lost my girl turkey though, she was the youngest of the four and I am sad to say that I didn't know that the Toms would "love" the females to the point of injury; which they did.

5. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    We butchered one that couldn't/wouldn't stand and have another that gets around but doesn't get up and walk, she kind of crawls and uses her wings. If we pick her up and stretch her legs theres no pain but she won't stand. Both of these were our fastest growers so I think they just "out grew" their legs.

6. jaku

Here's a couple of pictures of the turkey, if that helps at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    She looks to have a slight case of Blackhead I would assume. (the sores on the head have nothing to do with the disease) Turkeys are very touchy when exposed to dirt that is able to stay wet / moist. You have to battle all kinds of intestinal diseases. The meat will not be affected, so I would butcher now because you may lose her. However look at her liver when you do... if it has ulcers on it then you know you're dealing with an internal intestinal parasite / protozoa.

If I was you.... keep her isolated or process and get the others on some dryer ground. Even if it's just dry straw... it's better than the dirt. Good luck Jaku....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  8. Brunty_Farms

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I looked back at the picture and seen the manure... it looks to be yellow? Is that hers? If so you are definitely dealing with either Blackhead or another intestinal disease. Process her asap... and definitely get the others off of the wet ground. Either on pasture or dry straw. Clean the waters really good with some disinfectant so you don't spread it. If it's blackhead its from the cecal worm which is in the soil.... nothing you can do about it as there isn't a cure.

9. jaku

Quote:Yup, it's yellow and it's from her. No problem eating the meat though? I think I'm going to process all of my birds before this weekend, so the ground shouldn't be a problem anymore! And the rest of them are on grass- this one is in my dog run, as it's the only place I had to isolate one and fence it in. Would it be normal for just one of them to get it? Like I said, it's been several weeks that it's been like this. You mentioned checking the liver- if it has ulcers can I still eat the meat?

10. Brunty_Farms

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    You can eat the meat... just not the liver. It happens with turkeys from time to time and every year is different as it's effected by the seasons. Don't worry about it it though.... they eventually all would have got it but since you separated her from the rest you kept the rest from getting sick. Blackhead takes a while to go away... and there isn't any meds for it.

Check out the livers though when you process, the others may be fighting the same thing off but may be more tolerant of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by