What might these be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kemical Fenix, May 29, 2017.

1. Kemical Fenix

Kemical Fenix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Hello, I bought 3 chicks from a local feed store 1 week ago, and they are definitely not what I was told(Cochin mixed). I'm not very familiar with Cochins at all but I should've known better cause they had no feathers on legs & feet. 2 of them also have 5 toes, so I just figured Cochins were one of the 5 toe'd breeds. I noticed they definitely look like they have BR in them. I guess the employee at feed store got mixed up as to which cage I was referring to. Here's some pics...

2. Kemical Fenix

Jun 17, 2016
    Las Vegas
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Chick #1, 4 toes and no white head spot.

3. Kemical Fenix

Jun 17, 2016
    Las Vegas
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Chicks 2 & 3, white head spots, 5 toes and some visible barring on wings

4. Kemical Fenix

Jun 17, 2016
    Las Vegas
    So I just found out that black sex-links are RR crossed with BR, and that the males have the head spot & barring, so good chance they're black sex-links!? What would explain the 5 toes though? Could they be sex links from BR hen crossed with something other than a RR roo? Thanks for any info/replies.

5. Kemical Fenix

Jun 17, 2016
    Las Vegas
    One more question; In general, Do roo's get more of their mothers genes while hens acquire more of their fathers genes?

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I think you have Easter Eggers, which isn't a recognized breed but a name given to mixes who have the blue egg gene. From what I can't tell they have muffed cheeks and pea combs correct? Since Easter Eggers are really just highly praised mixes it is very possible for them to have them.

7. Kemical Fenix

Jun 17, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Nope, no muffs/beards and combs look like standard, though hard to tell this early. They did have EE's at the feed store(labeled "Ameraucana's" of course) in a different cage, they were the kind that look like little chipmunks though.

8. Kemical Fenix

Jun 17, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Is that a brahma mix in your profile pic?

9. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    No, that is one of my BOs at 6 weeks :). I do have a Buff Brahma as well though.

10. Chick-Rock

Chick-Rock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by