What might this face/eye irritation be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MiaS, Oct 22, 2019.

1. MiaS

MiaS Songster

Mar 28, 2019
    DeWinton, Alberta
    My Coop
    I'm worried about my pullet Dixie, an Ameracauna. She did not appear to be feeling well yesterday and I've noticed that her cheek feathers, especially on one side, were looking a bit ratty. I thought perhaps she was being picked at but today she seems to be scratching it herself and it is looking quite irritated. I have noticed her more puffed up over the last bit but our weather was also quite cold so didn't think much of it.

I have not had time to be out there much today so I'm not sure if she is still behaving like she doesn't feel great. Yesterday she was pretty lethargic and puffy but seemed fine the day before. She's eating and drinking as far as I can tell.

What should I be doing here?

Do mites get around their eyes? The other two birds seem fine and I've checked them over. This little girl does not want to be handled so I'll have to go in after dark tonight to check her over.

IMG_5148.JPG
    fullsizeoutput_36e.jpeg IMG_5155.JPG

2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Definitely check for mites. Once you can Puck her up tonight, try cleaning her face and look for any other area on her that may be effected. There is an eye ointment you can use on chickens. I think it's called Terramycin. If you're not putting it in the, or really close to, the eye, then you can use Neosporin without pain killer.

3. MiaS

MiaS Songster

Mar 28, 2019
    DeWinton, Alberta
    My Coop
    I don't see mites, but I dewormed anyway as I had her (squawking the whole way!!). She seems to have a bit of black around the eye but the eye itself looks fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: