What mix am I? Delaware?

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
I have a hen i am just curious as to what she is, a rescue, i just wonder about her- supposedly the ladies neighbors raised meat birds, and this girl wandered up with pox, they got her through that, before i got her, but was never friendly- i've looked at leghorns due to her floppy comb- but any thoughts on what she may have in her?
20170814_142303.jpg
20170929_212224.jpg

I'm a novice, but I'm thinking partridge rock mix. Her comb looks similar to my partridge rock, plus a similar pattern on the feathers, except it's like a negative. Maybe a partridge (comb & feather pattern) delaware (white, neck, & tail) mix?

Attachments

• 1002171938[1].jpg
    1002171938[1].jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 9
With mixes, it's sometimes impossible to tell. I once had a blue cockerel that someone stole his picture to promote their Ameraucanas. He had ZERO Ameraucana or Easter Egger in him. In fact, his mother was a bantam frizzle Cochin mix with a pea comb while his sire was a large fowl Buff Orpington. Insane, right? So, perfect example of not really being able to say for sure what's in that hen. Even guesses can be way far off.

thats funny @speckledhen yea she is a puzzle for sure lol lays beautiful dark brown eggs lol love your sig line, can i steal 'hens aren't vending machines' so true!

Yeah, that is my response to all the folks who insist they must lay all winter and right through their molts. Even heard of someone killing hens because they said they were "diseased" (losing all their feathers and not laying). I even did a YouTube on it, I was so fed up, LOL.

Yeah, that is my response to all the folks who insist they must lay all winter and right through their molts. Even heard of someone killing hens because they said they were "diseased" (losing all their feathers and not laying). I even did a YouTube on it, I was so fed up, LOL.

i get so frustrated- these birds are living beings- i have 9 year olds that don't lay lol but i would never kill them because of that, but i also don't force lighting or anything like that - some lack common sense of a toad lol

i get so frustrated- these birds are living beings- i have 9 year olds that don't lay lol but i would never kill them because of that, but i also don't force lighting or anything like that - some lack common sense of a toad lol

Me, too, lots of 8, 9, 10 and almost 11 yr old hens, but the oldest of all, who will be 11 in March, laid 17 eggs between last November and April...and she can't even walk from arthritis! They've served the family and they'll live out their lives here, eggs or not. Yep, animals, not machines. Click the link to my Youtube and check out that video with that title. I think you'll hear the frustration in my voice, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom