1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What mix am I? Delaware?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by artsyrobin, Oct 22, 2017.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings 9 Years

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I have a hen i am just curious as to what she is, a rescue, i just wonder about her- supposedly the ladies neighbors raised meat birds, and this girl wandered up with pox, they got her through that, before i got her, but was never friendly- i've looked at leghorns due to her floppy comb- but any thoughts on what she may have in her? 20170814_142303.jpg 20170929_212224.jpg

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.
  2. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Crowing

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    I really don't know. Anything can be in a mix. It looks like two different chickens in the photos.

drumstick diva likes this.
  3. apryl29

apryl29 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    NE Ohio
    I'm a novice, but I'm thinking partridge rock mix. Her comb looks similar to my partridge rock, plus a similar pattern on the feathers, except it's like a negative. Maybe a partridge (comb & feather pattern) delaware (white, neck, & tail) mix?

Attached Files:

drumstick diva and artsyrobin like this.
  4. artsyrobin

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    the first pic was during a molt, second was after molting, here she has stolen the dogs chair lol
    20171018_214653.jpg

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

With mixes, it's sometimes impossible to tell. I once had a blue cockerel that someone stole his picture to promote their Ameraucanas. He had ZERO Ameraucana or Easter Egger in him. In fact, his mother was a bantam frizzle Cochin mix with a pea comb while his sire was a large fowl Buff Orpington. Insane, right? So, perfect example of not really being able to say for sure what's in that hen. Even guesses can be way far off.

6. artsyrobin

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    thats funny @speckledhen yea she is a puzzle for sure lol lays beautiful dark brown eggs lol love your sig line, can i steal 'hens aren't vending machines' so true!

drumstick diva and speckledhen like this.
  7. speckledhen

Yeah, that is my response to all the folks who insist they must lay all winter and right through their molts. Even heard of someone killing hens because they said they were "diseased" (losing all their feathers and not laying). I even did a YouTube on it, I was so fed up, LOL.

8. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    My Coop
    mixes can be so hard. I have a RIRXAurcuana/CCL mix who looks EXACTLY like a skinny barred rock. So, it's hard to tell sometime.

speckledhen and artsyrobin like this.
  9. artsyrobin

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i get so frustrated- these birds are living beings- i have 9 year olds that don't lay lol but i would never kill them because of that, but i also don't force lighting or anything like that - some lack common sense of a toad lol

10. speckledhen

Me, too, lots of 8, 9, 10 and almost 11 yr old hens, but the oldest of all, who will be 11 in March, laid 17 eggs between last November and April...and she can't even walk from arthritis! They've served the family and they'll live out their lives here, eggs or not. Yep, animals, not machines. Click the link to my Youtube and check out that video with that title. I think you'll hear the frustration in my voice, LOL.

drumstick diva likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: