what mix is my rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beberly540, Aug 15, 2014.

1. beberly540

beberly540 New Egg

May 14, 2014
    I was given this rooster. His his mostly white and black but has green and brown mixed in. Just curious what my chicks will turn out looking like. I have leghorn hens. Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    He looks like maybe a Black Sex Link Rooster. If you have White Leghorn hens, they are usually dominant white, so all the chicks should be white with the occasional black/brown fleck.

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

I agree. It looks like a Black Sex-Link rooster. This can be created with a Barred Plymouth Rock, Barred Leghorn, or California Gray hen, etc. crossed with a Rhode Island Red, Production Red, or New Hampshire rooster, etc.

The result is something like the rooster you have, which is similar to this rooster.

[​IMG]

The offspring with White Leghorn hens should be white with black speckles, like a California White, which is a cross of a California Gray rooster with a White Leghorn hen.

The hens from your pairing should be very good egg-layers.

By the way, you will have to either incubate the eggs or get a broody hen to sit on the eggs, because White Leghorns rarely sit on eggs to hatch chicks.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, it looks like you have a Black Sex-Link rooster.

5. beberly540

beberly540 New Egg

May 14, 2014
    Thanks. I built an incubator already and have hatched some chicks. Im gonna try and hatch a few of these eggs. The whole chicken breed mixing seems to be quite confusing.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This.

If you bred him to non-white hens, half his offspring would be barred, half not. Breeding him to white hens, half the offspring will still genetically be barred, the white will just cover it up for the most part. But, take those white offspring and breed them to something like a red bird, and you may get some interesting barring coming out on that second generation [​IMG]

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Yup, They will have ghost barring.

8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Oh, you are already doing it. Great.

You can create many combinations by mixing different breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by