what mix is my rooster?

beberly540

Hatching
5 Years
May 14, 2014
I was given this rooster. His his mostly white and black but has green and brown mixed in. Just curious what my chicks will turn out looking like. I have leghorn hens. Thanks

He looks like maybe a Black Sex Link Rooster. If you have White Leghorn hens, they are usually dominant white, so all the chicks should be white with the occasional black/brown fleck.

I was given this rooster. His his mostly white and black but has green and brown mixed in. Just curious what my chicks will turn out looking like. I have leghorn hens. Thanks

I agree. It looks like a Black Sex-Link rooster. This can be created with a Barred Plymouth Rock, Barred Leghorn, or California Gray hen, etc. crossed with a Rhode Island Red, Production Red, or New Hampshire rooster, etc.

The result is something like the rooster you have, which is similar to this rooster.

BkSexLinkRoo.JPEG

The offspring with White Leghorn hens should be white with black speckles, like a California White, which is a cross of a California Gray rooster with a White Leghorn hen.

The hens from your pairing should be very good egg-layers.

By the way, you will have to either incubate the eggs or get a broody hen to sit on the eggs, because White Leghorns rarely sit on eggs to hatch chicks.

Last edited:
Thanks. I built an incubator already and have hatched some chicks. Im gonna try and hatch a few of these eggs. The whole chicken breed mixing seems to be quite confusing.

He looks like maybe a Black Sex Link Rooster. If you have White Leghorn hens, they are usually dominant white, so all the chicks should be white with the occasional black/brown fleck.
This.

If you bred him to non-white hens, half his offspring would be barred, half not. Breeding him to white hens, half the offspring will still genetically be barred, the white will just cover it up for the most part. But, take those white offspring and breed them to something like a red bird, and you may get some interesting barring coming out on that second generation
smile.png

This.

If you bred him to non-white hens, half his offspring would be barred, half not. Breeding him to white hens, half the offspring will still genetically be barred, the white will just cover it up for the most part. But, take those white offspring and breed them to something like a red bird, and you may get some interesting barring coming out on that second generation
smile.png
Yup, They will have ghost barring.

Thanks. I built an incubator already and have hatched some chicks. Im gonna try and hatch a few of these eggs. The whole chicken breed mixing seems to be quite confusing.

Oh, you are already doing it. Great.

You can create many combinations by mixing different breeds.

Back
Top Bottom