What mix is she and is she really a he? PICTURES

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Moochie, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Doodle is my favorite out of the flock [​IMG] But I don't know what breed she is, and because of how her comb and wattle is big and red, I'm starting to think she's a boy.
    But she never crows, and she's 7 months old. I've seen her lay too... So why is her comb and wattle big and red? Plus her tail feathers are starting to grow out. I don't get it. Can someone help? Here's some pics of Doodle.
    [​IMG]

Someone has told me she's an EE blend, but she has no muff or beard.
    These are her tail feathers starting to grow out.
    [​IMG]

She is very sweet and docile. Much more friendlier then my darn cochins.
    Here's her pretty gray legs and feet.
    [​IMG]

And her comb and wattle. Big for a girl...
    [​IMG]

This is her outside. By the way, she's not a very good layer. Our silkie bantam lays more then she does. In fact, I believe I only saw her lay an egg once, throughout all the months I've had her. It was a small white egg. I know it was her who layed it because she was in the nest box for an hour and I watched her (it was the first time I've seen a hen lay, I was curious).

[​IMG]

2. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    I can't tell you what mix she is, it's hard to tell. I can tell you, however, that she is a hen. Hens' combs and wattles become bright red and increase in size whenever the bird is ready to start laying. If she is already laying, she is undoubtedly a hen.

3. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I dont know what she's a mix of, but she is BEAUTIFUL!!!

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Don't see hackles or saddle feathers. I say pullet. Looks like with a comb like that could be white leghorn. Not 100 percent on pullet but looks like it to me.

5. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Since only females lay eggs she is definitely a girl [​IMG] some pullets just have very large combs and wattles.
    not sure on the breed though, but she is very pretty. I don't think EE though.

6. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    With the black spots, large comb and laying white eggs...my guess would be maybe a California White mix? Not sure where the buff/gold coloring would come from though.

She's pretty and unique...I like her [​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She's not a California White mix - Those spots you're seeing are from the fact that she's blue. She's blue with a golden neck, meaning she's either a Brown-Red (with the blue gene) or she's a cross of a Blue bird and a Red/Golden bird.

She's one thing for sure - A pretty mutt. [​IMG]

8. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    An odd mix for sure then lol Wonder where the white egg laying comes from...brown leghorn maybe?

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:[​IMG]

Even if she were not laying, you would know she is a girl based up her colouring: the red is in areas that indicate a female. Well, I suppose a henny feathered male could show the same colouring, but that gene is not typical except in certain breeds such as sebrights. Anyways, a male would be showing red on the shoulders, wing bar, and saddle, but not much on the breast.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    By the way, there are no expected characteristics for an EE. Some have muffs/beards, and some have willow legs, but as EE are a mix/mutt, the only requirement is that they have a blue egg laying ancestor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by