What mix is this? Ameraucana/?????(PICS)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BellLisamo, Apr 5, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Needless to say im still learning.... are these mixed?? If so with what??? The pullet has green legs, the roo has yellow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Looks a lot like my Rhode Island Red / Easter Egger (or ameraucana to you)

I've bred about 25 of those and about all the pullets had green feet and the roos had yellow.

Mine looked alittle different. But EE's are all different so they would be slightly different. Yes I'm almost positive. I can give you some pictures if you would like.

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:thanks!! what color eggs will they lay if they are a rhode island mixed with ee??? i hope the colored ones....

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    they're easter eggers [​IMG]

eta- if they are mixes and not from a hatchery.....if crossed with a brown layer they will lay an egg that is green - olive, depending on breeds

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  5. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:That is not necessarily true. It depends. If the mother who the eggs came from laid green eggs they will lay green eggs.

If the mother laid brown eggs, then they will lay brown eggs.

There may be chances of getting different results.

Mine were Blue egged gene EE Rooster, with a Brown egg gene RIR hen. And all my pullets lay brown eggs. Not green at all.

But if it was the opposite and the rooster was brown gened and the hen blue, they would of laid blue or green eggs.

This is just from my experience. I've hatched quite a few of this exact kind myself.

Of course your hen has green legs I believe. So it's a good chance they are from an EE hen, and a RIR rooster. So you 'should' get green eggs. [​IMG] Hopefully.

[​IMG]

This is one of my 'Mix' roosters. He is quite pretty. Yours will look a little different because mine came from unmuffed parents. And your looked to be from a muffed parent. But they will look similar.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have only had it one way, haven't done it the other, didn't know it didn't work opposite. I have offspring from a brown laying breed roo over blue laying hens and the pullets lay green......

7. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    there you go. [​IMG] It laid the egg color of the mother. But since the father carried brown eggs they mixed and you get green egg layers.

But if the mother was the one who laid brown you would have brown eggs, because the mother's egg color is what matters the most.

Hope i didn't make it too hard to understand.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    nope, but I thought both parents influence egg color?

9. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Oh! Well thank you for the help! She's about 5 months now, when should she start laying? And the cockerel hasnt started crowing yet. Must be slow maturing?

10. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    I breeded a black star hen( brown eggs) with a ee roo. and the hens lay a olive colored eggs.... De

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by