Votes: 1 33.3%
  • EE x Black Australorp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 22, 2020
Norther WI
My Coop
My Coop
This is a 4.5-month-old chick that I hatched. I was wondering if you wonderful people on BYC could help me identify what mix s/he is. (Poll above has all possible mixes)
She also has Leg fluff.
(Sorry that the 1st one is kind of blurry she was moving alot)
IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0799.JPG

Suspected parents ~

Roo is only rooster I had when she was hatched
IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0132.JPG

Suspected mother Dominique ~

IMG_0788.JPG

So what makes him sex-linked?
Male chickens have sex chromosomes ZZ.
Female chickens have sex chromosomes ZW.
Barring is on the Z sex chromosome.
The W chromosome does not have any genes that we care about here.

Barring is a dominant gene, so a chicken cannot carry barring without showing it. Any chicken with the barring gene will have white bars on the feathers, although of course they are easier to see on some colors than others.

Your rooster has nice rich red and black colors, so it's easy to see he does not have white barring. Since he has no barring, he gives every chick a Z chromosome with no barring on it.
But the chick does have barring, so that must have come from the chick's mother.

A barred hen gives her sons a Z chromosome with barring, and she gives her daughters a W chromosome (that cannot carry barring.)
So a barred hen can only give barring to her sons, never to her daughters.

Since the chick did inherit barring from a barred mother, the chick must be a male.

Last edited:
Male chickens have sex chromosomes ZZ.
Female chickens have sex chromosomes ZW.
Barring is on the Z sex chromosome.
The W chromosome does not have any genes that we care about here.

Barring is a dominant gene, so a chicken cannot carry barring without showing it. Any chicken with the barring gene will have white bars on the feathers, although of course they are easier to see on some colors than others.

Your rooster has nice rich red and black colors, so it's easy to see he does not have white barring. Since he has no barring, he gives every chick a Z chromosome with no barring on it.
But the chick does have barring, so that must have come from the chick's mother.

A barred hen gives her sons a Z chromosome with barring, and she gives her daughters a W chromosome (that cannot carry barring.)
So a barred hen can only give barring to her sons, never to her daughters.

Since the chick did inherited barring from a barred mother, the chick must be a male.
Thank you for the very detailed explanation!

Back
Top Bottom