What more can we do? Kinda of long post!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mullers3acers, Apr 21, 2008.

1. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    We have had problems in the last few months with our dog and neighbors dogs. One travels about a quarter of a mile to visit and play with our dog we don't have a problem with that. But last year it killed 2 of our chickens. So we fenced in the perimeter of the property so it would have difficulty getting on the property. Then our dog found a way to get into the field to play with the other dog. One day a few weeks a ago they were playing in the field behind one of the new neighbors place. Our dog and the new neighbors dog got into a fight the neighbor came over and was upset and I can unterstand that.
    Because of all this happening our Abbie can only go out with someone from the family. When we are home she is either chain up or in the house with me.( Because I am not working right now). Because of the troubles and the fact we are getting a beef steer. My dh is in the process of fencing in the whole property got 3/4 of the yard done yesterday.
    Went out this morning for a potty break and to feed and water the pigs and chickens. The new neighbor's dog was in our yard and on our side of the fence. The dogs got into a fight and I finally got a hold of Abbie and chased the other dog off. Called the owners and explained the situation.they understood and said they would take care of their dog.
    My husband is going to finish fencing in the property within the next few days. We've spent a lot of money to make sure that we cause no more trouble with the neighbors. What else can we do? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I think what you are doing is comendable! (sp?) Most people would be trying to cast blame on 'just ' the other party involved. I think by building the fence, you are being a responsible dog owner. Now, if only the other neighbour feels as 'responsible' as you! I think you do all you can, but they also need to do their share. As long as you are acting responsibly, I think that's all you can do.

We also have a dog, a big one! She likes 'little' dogs, too much. She is our dog, therefore our responsibility. We need to ensure that she is not causing anyone any issues.

Hope this helps you!

Tanya

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I agree with Tanya. You are showing more responsibility then most. I feel you have done all you can. I hope it all works out for you!

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I think you are doing your best. Your neighbor needs to be in control of their dog, if it continues you need to confront them again and explain that the other neighbor has been complaning and might not be so tolerable. Let us know how it goes.

5. Jennym

Jennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    I would call the dog warden in your town. This always seems to work. You do not have to give your name, just make a complaint, especially if this continues. You have to look out for yourself and your pets.

6. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    The sad thing is the neighbors dog that we had problems with this morning and a few weeks ago. The owner is a city cop! Go figure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by