What My Grandmother Says.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Lacey1988, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    I love my Grandmother to death but hearing the stuff she says about chickens is just too much [​IMG] .....Here's what she thinks all barred chickens are Dominiques, all reddish chickens are RIRs,If you mess with a chicken too much it will stop laying, and if you pick an egg up you'll kill the chick inside....also morning dew kills chickens which a couple of these might be true IDK lol

2. Lacey1988

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Does any body else have a grandma thats like that

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Never knew my grandmas, but I'm a grandpa who says things like that to mess with my grandkids' heads. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Not my own grandparents, but once I took about 15 silkie chicks to a swap. This elderly woman came over and said she wanted some but only pullets. I said sorry, but there was no way to tell which was which. She tells me her husband can tell and goes to get him. He comes back and starts picking them all up at the shoulders and tells me if they kick their feet they are roosters, if they let them hang they are hens... I said I was pretty sure that was an old wives tale, lol. (If that were true, would save us all a lot of trouble, LOL) He tells me he's been raising chickens longer than I have been alive and it's true. Then he proceeds to loudly proclaim that all but two are roosters. ( wonder how many sales he cost me LOL) His wife buys the two "hens". I often wonder if they ended up actually being hens, [​IMG]

5. Lacey1988

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    They get very mad when you tell them their wrong lol.....Like when I told my grandma that our BR was a BR she said no its a Dominique I said no barred rock.....10 minutes of arguing later I just let her believe it lol

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Mine thinks that only roosters have combs and wattles and when she saw my pullets she said most of them were roo's!
    Also, my uncle grew up with a few chickens and he told me when I first got chickens that when they get older they will only lay an egg a week--IF your lucky!

Haha! [​IMG] I love this thread!

7. Maximus

Maximus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    Don't fell alone [​IMG] .

8. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Mine are worse. All through teenage-hood I kept my hair down to my hip. Now it's only about oh, 20cm shorter? They wouldn't stop. Wait till they find out i do that on purpose [​IMG] (I'm not that old yet! I still have 2 living grandparents! xD)

9. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

There probably wasn't much emphasis put on pure breeds back then. They were thought of as food. A lot of the older generation believes the old wives tales,let them.I wish I had my grandmother to talk to again. I loved to hear her talk about the times she grew up in and some of the old wives tales(she decided a few years before she died that they were just that ,tales.Cherish your grandparents.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by