What next, after Grower/Starter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bdog, Jan 7, 2011.

1. bdog

bdog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Natchez, Ms. 39120
    What and when do I go to a Grower or layer type feed!

My chicks are 8 weeks old and on the ground in a 25'x25' enclosure.

They get to scratch and eat green grass all day. I am feeding Grower/starter now.

Thanks,

Jimmy

2. Farmergreen

Farmergreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    I personally would have started a little scratch at 6 wks thrown on the ground and slowly cut back on the starter. Scratch only by 8wks. About 30 days on scratch then start cutting back on Scratch and begin replacing with pellets. By 4 months should be feeding only Pellets. Most chickens start laying from 4 to 6 months. No need for anything else. They will get all they need if you are free ranging.
    If your birds are caged and moved from spot to spot you may want to spend a little more for 17% pellets (most are 15%) or you can add a little grain (scratch). feed at a seperate time preferably in the evening no more than what 1 bird will eat in 5 mins.
    As they begin to lay watch egg shape and shell thickness. Any irregularities feed oyster shells seperate and offer at all times. They will only eat enough shells to satisfy thier need.
    Just my way of doing it. I keep 50 layers, get average of 80% lay from early spring till early winter. Got 37 eggs today. Also raise OEGB,s (bantums) whole differant feeding regime.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Everybody has their own way. I feed out chicks on medicated starter until 6 weeks. Then grower until 14 weeks, then switch them to layer. I grow out sex links, so their maturity is generally earlier than others. Ideally, I pasture from 6 weeks on. This is impossible in the winter months, however. Feed costs jump in winter because of it.

Scratch. Hmmmmm... It OK, but my concern is how it is over used, imho. I do not want it to constitute more than 10% of the feed uptake. It's quality is simply akin to junk food in humans. I buy it. I use it. But don't overdo it. I don't even make it a daily habit. FWIW

4. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    We do medicated feed to 8 weeks then to Flockraiser with 20% protein and then just add oyster shell at 5 months.[​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Medicated chick starter for 8 weeks, then grower/finisher forever. I keep crushed oyster shell out all the time, free choice. But I have all different ages of chickens in my flock, and they "coop hop" so I couldn't feed layer just to the laying population and none of the others if I tried to do so.

6. Farmergreen

Farmergreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Fred's Hens sounds like we are pretty together on this one. The Scratch is around 5% cude protien That will kick your protien intake to around 17% with a 15% pellet.
    I also like to watch them eat scratch scratchin around. Also feed less of it in the summer.
    I try and keep away from Meds and chemicals, Into organic farming. Just my bag. If I can't say it or spell it I try not to use it.

Don't think I'm a tree hugger. If the tree is in my way oops. and if half my animals come up sick all of a sudden I'm calling a Vet.
    Just trying to not add to whatever my Dear Old Grandpa sprayed and spread LOL

7. bdog

bdog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Natchez, Ms. 39120
    Thanks for the advice will make adjustments and see how they do.

My Best,

Jimmy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by