What next?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2 britts, May 7, 2011.

1. 2 britts

2 britts Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    East Tn.
    After posting yesterday about 2 week old chicks pecking one anothers butt feathers which I think I have that under control, now a new day brings new adventure! So,I get up this morning and go over to my incubator to do the usual checks. I look inside with my handy flashlight and spot what appears to be a pip. No way, I said to myself this is only day 15, they have 3 more days to go. I left home to work at my shop and thought about what I saw. Called my wife just to see what she thought and she said she couldn't tell for sure,then about an hour later she called and said it was definately a pip cause she can hear it peeping.Here we go again! Question is- Do you leave it on the turner with the others and how often does this happen? The eggs are LF SLW and NH.

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Hi there,
    Is it possible that the early-pipper egg sat under a hen a day or so before being collected for hatching?
    Maybe could explain the head start on hatching.
    Since the little fellow is in the minority, I would keep the turner going until day 18 for the good of the other eggs.
    He as obviously been able to orient himself to pip regardless of the turner being on.
    Good luck!
    Carolyn

3. 2 britts

2 britts Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    East Tn.
    Quote:That could very well be a possibility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by