what?? no egg today :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nakstk, Sep 16, 2012.

1. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    For the first time since May 12th I didn't get an egg from my girls. [​IMG] What's the deal? They have feed and water and they got tomatoes and kale got treats today, but still no egg. Only 1 of my 5 (for sure) layers looks like she is starting to molt. I don't get it. The weather hasn't changed too much lately. Could it be the fewer daily light hours are effecting them already?

2. That's weird.....Well, it takes 25 hours to make an egg, so eventually they'll skip a day. Maybe their "off-days" just happened to line up on the same day?

3. nakstk

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    They have been cutting back a lot lately, but I have still been getting 2 eggs a day at least.

4. hmmmmmm, maybe it is less daylight hours then.. Maybe (if you don't already have one) you could look into a light in the coop and see if that helps?

5. nakstk

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I had one last year for them but I was going to try and do with out this year.

6. That's all I can think off, sorry. I haven't really noticed mine cutting back much, but even though the old girls have been I think , pullets are just starting, so it's kinda hard to judge.......

7. nakstk

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    My hens are 14 months old and my pullets are 20.5 weeks, but I am not sure if my pullets have started laying. I sure hope I would be able to tell the difference in a SS egg and a Wellie egg.

8. nakstk

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Got 1 egg so far today. All of my chickens are being so loud though for some reason.

9. ibarbidahl

ibarbidahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Odessa, FL
    Maybe there is something disrupting them? Is there an egg thief around? [​IMG]

Or sometimes just the dumb hawks will throw off my birds and they will wait until I'm outside and they are feeling safer to lay. All the while kicking up a fuss. Hope they settle for you soon.

10. nakstk

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Well my 3 pullets just started sleeping in the hens coop the night before they boycotted laying. They had two separate coops for a month but had access to the hens coop. I guess they finally felt like they merged as one flock. That could be it. I was just so excited that the pullets finally moved I didn't even think that it would effect the hens laying. Thanks for pointing that out ibarbidahl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by