What noise is that?!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by elizabethbinary, Dec 26, 2010.

1. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    One of my geese this morning has been squeaking. Like a really REALLY loud mouse. Or like a woman who got pinched on the bum at a bar. Sounds like that. Goose has been goosed.

It's not doing anything strange. Just standing there and being a goose, but every now and again I hear BAKWEEK! and then it just keeps being a goose.

What's that for? Mating? Laying? Being weird?

2. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nobody? I finally saw which goose was doing it and I think it's the male? Why would a gander squeak?

3. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    Ganders have higher squeaker sounds, the goose will have a deeper honker sound. At least mine do.

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    He might be clearing a dusty throat. Whenever I feed crumble I have a few geese who will gorge, then make random high-pitched squeaking/coughing sound. If the ground is dusty out there right now he may just be reacting to that.

5. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Mine does when he naps. He'll sit there, all quiet and calm, and suddenly let out a "SQEEEEAK!"; then he falls right back to sleep again.

I think I've observed he tends to do it more when he's a bit thirsty. He never does it at night, though, when I'm sleeping. I'm sure I would've heard it!

Hey, this is really funny: He's sitting right behind me now, waiting for me to go to bed. Just as I was about to post, he let out the SQEAK! Then he chewed a couple of times and continued sleeping. I don't think he even opened his eyes.

6. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    So it's just perfectly normal or a bit of a dry mouth? Good to know! It's a weirdnoise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by