What not to feed your chickens:

Lovely_Ladies

Chirping
Jun 18, 2020
Hi just read a post which included a list of human food that is okay to feed your chickens and a list of human foods that you should not feed your chickens. One item on the list of foods to NOT feed your chickens is: “citrus” I have been giving my hens halos/mandarin oranges since they could open there beaks wide enough to take them. They love them. If citrus is something you should not feed your chickens and I have been doings this for so long what are the repercussions? Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can look for regarding there health and well being? Please respond I’m extremely worried right now.

Why do some say citrus fruit is bad for chickens? I've always been curious as to why but there is never a clear explanation, just a bunch of misinformation.

I've always fed my flock oranges and mandarins, some love it, others don't. Never had health problems or a decrease in egg production from what I can tell.

Okay thank you! Feeling some relief. If anyone else would like to respond please keep the posts coming. This is my first go at having back yard chickens. I mainly got them for eggs but now I love all 6 hens and I consider them my babies! I get so excited when I go out back with the oranges and see the chickens come running up to me from every direction. However, if more people post that feeding oranges are a no no I will immediately stop! I look forward to hearing from all my fellow chicken lovers 💕

I heard of a man once who just took all kinds of kitchen scraps and gave a bucket full to his chickens every morning. He said,

"Chickens know what is good and what is bad. There are circus fruits and onions and other stuff people say chickens can't have in this, but they just pick through it!"

I'm not sure if that is misinformation though. What do you guys think? I've always been extra careful when feeding my chickens treats because they are pets.

I heard of a man once who just took all kinds of kitchen scraps and gave a bucket full to his chickens every morning. He said,

"Chickens know what is good and what is bad. There are circus fruits and onions and other stuff people say chickens can't have in this, but they just pick through it!"

I'm not sure if that is misinformation though. What do you guys think? I've always been extra careful when feeding my chickens treats because they are pets.
Thank you cluck me coop. That actually makes sense to me because the other day I took some cucumbers out to them & they turned there beaks (😂) up and walked away.

Thank you cluck me coop. That actually makes sense to me because the other day I took some cucumbers out to them & they turned there beaks (😂) up and walked away.

Nice one! 😁 But thanks! :) I'm not sure if it's true that chickens know what to eat and what not to eat. I mean, maybe if they were free ranging and they see something that would hurt them and move on....but I'm not sure if you thrust a bucket of something in front of them...they might just eat it. What are your thoughts on this?

I think that in the same article the OP was looking at, there was a quote "I stopped thinking that my chickens knew what was good for them when they started eating a styrofoam block" Or something along those lines. I do the occasional treat, but most of their diet is layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom