What not to feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by eggcited2, Jul 28, 2010.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    I imagine this has been asked before, but don't know how to find if it has: what should I not feed my chicks and chickens? What veggies and/or fruits is bad or dangerous for them?

I have giving them watermelon and yesterday gave them some zucchini. But want to make sure I am not giving them anything dangerous that could make them sick or cause death.

Also, what kind of bugs and such is safe that I could get from a pet store: of course I am giving meal worms which they go crazy for. But crickets, regular earth worms, wax worms, ????? I do not give these on a daily basis, but as a treat once or twice a week. How often can they have these kind of things?

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
  3. eggcited2

eggcited2 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Thank you so much for the link. I love the site, great suggestions and ideas, and the pictures are priceless! [​IMG]

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    NEVER feed

Potato peelings
    avocado
    moldy/old leftovers
    really salty foods
    candy/ chocolate / sugar
    And from a site I read the other day dried/uncooked beans are also bad [​IMG]

crickets are ok to feed them. If they free range they would eat them all the time so it doesnt really matter how often they get them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  5. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Songster

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    There are packing peants made from rice that are even human edible. I wouldn't say as a regular diet, but would be interesting to see the reaction.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by