what not to feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by js8cop, Oct 15, 2011.

1. js8cop

js8cop New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    is their anything that i should diffently not feed my hens. like from table scraps or the house hold.

jay

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    not exactly sure but no uncooked potato peels or garlic there's a link somewhere here with a treat lists.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
  4. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I feed fresh raw garlic to my chickens all the time and everybody loves it and nobodys died [​IMG]

5. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    lol garlic i've read is not poison but can make eggs taste funny.

6. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Yay Chicks! :

Link to treats chart: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

There's
    some "no-nos" at the bottom.

At the bottom of that list is a second list of things to avoid.

Garlic is safe for chickens to eat, but some people avoid it because it can affect the flavor of the eggs. I feed fresh raw garlic for 2 weeks twice a year because it naturally helps to kill bacteria, yeast, and parasites in the digestive tract. Some things I would add to the "do not feed" list are overly processed junk foods (not poisonous, just not healthy), tomato plants (tomatoes themselves are great), and anything at all that has even a little bit of mold on it. Mold, even in tiny amounts, can be fatal to chickens. Otherwise, chickens are omnivores and natural foragers and love to eat just about anything. [​IMG]

7. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    I read the list... why not citrus?

8. js8cop

js8cop New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    i believe citrus slows the egg laying this is what i am told anyway

9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I give my girls anything that I would eat including meat. I even feed potato peels, I don't let them have any sprouted eyes on the peels. After all I eat the potato peel when I make baked potatoes.

10. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Onions and mushrooms are toxic to chickens and dogs I know for sure. I have had both get very ill from them. I mention dog because I am a dog lover. I almost lost my little JRT KitKat because we fed her some spaghetti that had onions in the sauce. It caused liver failure. She was on fluids for 6 days straight to try and flush her kydneys and get them restarted. She still is having problems and she has pp accidents now. We have put down vinyl and laminate. Lost the carpet when we realized what was going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by