what not to feed

js8cop

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 15, 2011
is their anything that i should diffently not feed my hens. like from table scraps or the house hold.

jay

I feed fresh raw garlic to my chickens all the time and everybody loves it and nobodys died
wink.png

Yay Chicks! :

Link to treats chart: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

There's
some "no-nos" at the bottom.

At the bottom of that list is a second list of things to avoid.

Garlic is safe for chickens to eat, but some people avoid it because it can affect the flavor of the eggs. I feed fresh raw garlic for 2 weeks twice a year because it naturally helps to kill bacteria, yeast, and parasites in the digestive tract. Some things I would add to the "do not feed" list are overly processed junk foods (not poisonous, just not healthy), tomato plants (tomatoes themselves are great), and anything at all that has even a little bit of mold on it. Mold, even in tiny amounts, can be fatal to chickens. Otherwise, chickens are omnivores and natural foragers and love to eat just about anything.
smile.png

I give my girls anything that I would eat including meat. I even feed potato peels, I don't let them have any sprouted eyes on the peels. After all I eat the potato peel when I make baked potatoes.

Onions and mushrooms are toxic to chickens and dogs I know for sure. I have had both get very ill from them. I mention dog because I am a dog lover. I almost lost my little JRT KitKat because we fed her some spaghetti that had onions in the sauce. It caused liver failure. She was on fluids for 6 days straight to try and flush her kydneys and get them restarted. She still is having problems and she has pp accidents now. We have put down vinyl and laminate. Lost the carpet when we realized what was going on.

Back
Top Bottom