What now and how long for the broody and her babies. ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ginbart, May 13, 2010.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I had to bring momma and the eggs inside because when they hatched the roo killed 2 babies. They have been in the house for a week. I made a little pen for them to be in outside. I kept the momma and babies in there for 2 days and just now I let them out. All my other chicken are in lock down today so they can't come after the babies but my question is, how long will she be taking care of them? I will continue to do the everyother day thing were the hens and roo can come out one day and momma and the babies come out the next. Will I be able to tell they are on their own? How long will it be before I can let the roo see the babies? I don't want him to kill them. I can do this for months if need be. I just want to do it right. Thanks for your help. This is my first time with a broddy and babies.

This isn't the pen they are in now, it's just the first time I let them out for the day. I love silkies. Thanks, AHappyChick for all the joy you have given me and my family. Without you I wouldn't have them. God Bless you.
    This is Lulu watching over her babies, she thinks there her's. LOL
    [​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

gin,
    Can you put them all together with only the fencing to separate them? It is easier to integrate them if they can see each other for awhile. That is what has worked for me. After being around each other for a couple weeks, then try it without the wire separation, while you supervise.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Thanks Kathy I'll try that. It will be easy to put a fence up around them. Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by