1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vigario, Jun 24, 2011.

1. vigario

vigario Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    I let one of my broody hens sit on an egg to see what will happen. Today is the 21st day and she is still sitting. I don't think the egg is fertile, though the hens are running with a rooster.

If the egg doesn't hatch will she eventually quite being broody or do I need to do something?

Thanks.

Mark

2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Hey Mark. It sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I'm expecting hatching today or tomorrow but only have 3 eggs left under her. The odds are scaring me.

Have you candled the egg at all?

As a backup plan, I have found a breeder nearby with chicks hatching this weekend. If none of mine hatch, I plan to get a couple of her chicks to stick under the mama.

3. vigario

vigario Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    I tried to candle it, using one of my brooder lamps, but couldn't tell as I almost blinded myself [​IMG]

New at this chicken thing.

I have 10 two week old French Black Copper Maran chicks, but I think they are too old to put under a broody hen.

Mark

4. mrheinz77

mrheinz77 New Beginnings Poultry

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Put a piece of cardboard over it with a dime size hole cut in it. That's what I do. My broody I'd on 3 eggs that candled ok but they are a week over. As soon as my guineas hatch I will put them with her. She wants to be a mom so bad. She was broody for 2 weeks before I put eggs with her. My other broody had duck eggs. One of 3 has hatched so far. I have 1 more broody waiting for eggs but won't sit if I move her out of the 12 slot nest box that is slanted for the eggs to roll forward. My duck went broody a week ago one her eggs and guinea eggs. Turkey went broody but gets up for the guinea to lay an egg in the nest. Then the guinea sits there until the turkey come back. That confuses me. The turkey is sitting on her eggs that I don't know if they are fertile (I bought a young tom that was gobbling and strutting but then died) and guinea eggs. Good luck.

5. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Wow wee, MrHeinz, you have a lot going on!

I feel so impatient waiting on these chicks and hoping that there will BE chicks even. [​IMG]

I just used a high powered LED flashlight to candle mine, Mark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by