1. PaulaWales

PaulaWales New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    Hi all,
    I have a one-year-old Sussex buff called Eva. She hasn't been herself for quite some time. Concerned, I took her to the vet's on Boxing Day, and they prescribed antibiotics for 5 days. She perked up after the course for one day, but fell back into lethargy, not wanting to walk, staying in the coop, mucky bum, but not off her food or drink. I read that antibiotics can upset their tummies, so I gave her some probiotic yoghurt mixed with wormer (as it had been two or so months since her last dose), which has seemed to do the trick to some extent. She is perkier, and out all day now, but she is not putting on weight, despite me feeding her a high-protein diet of layers pellets in the morning and mealworms/pigeon tonic/corn in the afternoon.

I bath her a couple of times a week to get rid of the muck on her bum and gently blow-dry her and I also put vaseline on her lower legs as she has been suffering from scaly-leg.

She hasn't laid for a good couple of weeks now, which doesn't bother me, but she is still not 100% and am at a loss as to what to do next.

I have one other hen who is in rude health (a Rhode Rock called Izzy) and they both free-range in my back garden. I check their poos daily. Izzy's are fine, but Eva's are light-coloured with a chalky deposit on top.

I give them fresh water daily with a drop or two of Immunotech in it, and I clean their coop daily and clean up all their poo every day. I also supplement their diet with fresh veg/fruit every other day.

ANY advice would be great, thanks!

2. xmonster0

xmonster0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    "but Eva's are light-coloured with a chalky deposit on top."

this says "worms" to me, so the last dose may not have done the trick. if its a heave worm infestation

you may have to give steady doses for alittle longer to clean her out, try "pig swig" at your feed store

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by