what on earth am i?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spish, Dec 8, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i originally posted this in the duck section, thinking it was a duck..but now it seems it could be a goose or even a young swan?????? im still convinced duck but am looking for some more opinions...

does anyone know what this is? heres a copy of my post from the duck section so u dont have to scurry over and read it there....

"its minus 20 here at the moment and winter has long begun, yet some crazy duck decided to get broody and hatch herself out some chicks on the othersid of town.
    long story short this little guy turned up yesterday in someones garage...the residents kept an eye out for a 'mum' or siblings but nothing was seen. ducky was still in there this morning so they brought it round to me.
    i first thought it was just a usual run of the mill lost mallard duckling, but something tells me it isnt. its beak is huge with 2 'bumps' on the end, it has really long legs and doesnt squeak like my last lot of mallards duckling did constantly. it is just starting to get some feathers in (see last photo)

any ideas what it could be and a rough estimate on age? i thought maybe a cross between a scovy and something?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

original thread here...https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=427544

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Looks like a duck to me, not sure what kind though.

3. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    I've been looking at all my birding books... there are a TON of wild ducks and geese in Belgium. I think he may be a scoter or a scaup or a shoveler. All of them have big-billed ducklings. I am not sure how wild birds change leg color as they mature, so I can't go by that.

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i unfortunatly dont know much about belgiums wild birds as ive only lived here a few years (am originally from england) but ive never seen one with two big 'bumps' on the beak? or with such chunky, yet long legs?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i think this will be one of those i have to wait and see times! [​IMG]

6. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

hmm, it looks like a mallard cross tree duck? thats just a guess though... but he sure is cute!

7. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    looks like a female mallard. (?)

8. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Rouen looks like a female.

9. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Gosh he/she is SO CUTE. But I have no clue what type it is... [​IMG]

10. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Are you sure that isn't a muscovey duck? Could it be a muscovey cross? You know if it is a muscovey cross that it will be like a mule and in all likelihood never reproduce? Just asking.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by