what on earth am i?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
i originally posted this in the duck section, thinking it was a duck..but now it seems it could be a goose or even a young swan?????? im still convinced duck but am looking for some more opinions...

does anyone know what this is? heres a copy of my post from the duck section so u dont have to scurry over and read it there....

"its minus 20 here at the moment and winter has long begun, yet some crazy duck decided to get broody and hatch herself out some chicks on the othersid of town.
long story short this little guy turned up yesterday in someones garage...the residents kept an eye out for a 'mum' or siblings but nothing was seen. ducky was still in there this morning so they brought it round to me.
i first thought it was just a usual run of the mill lost mallard duckling, but something tells me it isnt. its beak is huge with 2 'bumps' on the end, it has really long legs and doesnt squeak like my last lot of mallards duckling did constantly. it is just starting to get some feathers in (see last photo)

any ideas what it could be and a rough estimate on age? i thought maybe a cross between a scovy and something?

100_6766.jpg

100_6765.jpg

100_6767.jpg

100_6764.jpg

100_6763.jpg

100_6761.jpg

original thread here...https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=427544

Last edited:
I've been looking at all my birding books... there are a TON of wild ducks and geese in Belgium. I think he may be a scoter or a scaup or a shoveler. All of them have big-billed ducklings. I am not sure how wild birds change leg color as they mature, so I can't go by that.

i unfortunatly dont know much about belgiums wild birds as ive only lived here a few years (am originally from england) but ive never seen one with two big 'bumps' on the beak? or with such chunky, yet long legs?

Last edited:
Are you sure that isn't a muscovey duck? Could it be a muscovey cross? You know if it is a muscovey cross that it will be like a mule and in all likelihood never reproduce? Just asking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom