What on earth could have done this???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 5isenough, Jun 19, 2011.

1. 5isenough

5isenough Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    A few days ago, I came home to a massacre. We had 8 hens, full grown, who live in our fenced back yard, and were in a second fenced yard where their coop is. My husband and I were not able to get home that night and left their small "peep door" open. But again, they were behind two fences.

Anyway, three were just gone...no bodies but tons of feathers. Many feathers were outside the yard fence in the front yard. Something must have got the chicken over or through 2 fences. Also every one of the remaining 5 hens were mangled. They are still with us and seem to be doing good, but it breaks my heart to see them.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I just don't know what to think. Thanks for any help.

2. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I am so sorry, I have never had an experience like that but my guess would be fox. What sort of area do you live in/near? Woodland, field, rural, suburbs etc.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  3. whobody

whobody New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    It could have been a raccoon as they are very good at breaking in, I'm having a similar problem myself right now. My niece and nephew lost 16 from their flock over a period of 3 days before they eliminated the problem.

4. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    almost forgot, [​IMG] you guys! [​IMG] (or girls)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  5. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

My vote is a dog or dogs.

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

would just about bet it's a raccoon. So sorry for your losses, and despite the bad timing / massacre, welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

7. 5isenough

Oct 10, 2009
    We live in a rural area and have almost 2 acres. I've heard that if it was a dog, it would have left the bodies after it killed them. Plus how did it get through/over the 2 fences? We have never seen a racoon herre in eastern Georgia but there might be a few. My neighbor did say he saw a fox across the road. Thanks for the support.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There are tons of coons here, trust me! Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean there aren't 20 in your backyard every night. You would be shocked at the predators that come through. We have them all here in GA, including black bears, foxes, coyotes, weasels, etc, etc. I spotlight my woods at night and always see coons, possums, mice, deer and lots of eyes I can't even ID, all from my deck.

There is really no such thing as a predator proof run here in GA, especially if you have no roof over it. Fences are EASY for a fox or coyote. Predators don't stay on all fours, they climb.

9. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Dont know what part of the country you live in,but I am thinking its a work of a Fisher(most people call the fisher cats but thats a misnomer). They are in the weasel family,equally mean if not more. Adept at climbing and voracious eaters not to mention as quick as a cat. You might want to consider getting a top put on the main run to keep out nighttime pests. You didnt mention if there were any signs of digging so I am just assuming they came from the top. Here in Mass they have made an alarming comeback but their kills often get put off to something else.Coyotes have made a serious regeneration in this state as well but luckily have not had a problem with any predator so far.Knock wood!!!! My thinking is my dogs scent is keeping the creatures at bay. I went 2yrs without a dog and racoons were always in the trash,get a dog get rid of racoons and others.

You might want to put up a motion activated camera or trail cam to see what is mingling about at night. Sorry to hear you lost some of your chickies. [​IMG]

10. 5isenough

Oct 10, 2009
    Wow, Speckledhen...thanks so much for all the Georgia info. I had NO idea. I thought a fence was foolproof. Now I need to get a spotlight. BTW, I love North Georgia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by