What on earth is that???!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by em530, Oct 23, 2014.

1. em530

em530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone help? Most of my chickens are point of lay, I got my first egg yesterday from my blue bell I'm not sure whether she layed this or one of the others, I don't even know what it is? It had gloop on the end of it which looked somewhat like egg white, and after inspection it seems to be some sort of tube with some kind of sac? I have no idea anyone else??? :/

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It is a softshell egg. I've had this happen once in awhile when hens first started laying. It's not really a problem unless it occurs frequently.

3. em530

Oct 13, 2014
    Oh thank you! I really didn't know what it was, my other two point of lays have started laying today so hopefully no lasting problems :)

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, that is simply a soft-shelled egg. Soft eggs are common in newly laying hens whose reproductive tracts are not quite up to speed. If you see a lot more of the soft shelled eggs, I would supplement with oystershell or eggshell to ensure they're eating enough calcium, but otherwise, they'll be fine. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  5. em530

Oct 13, 2014
    Thank you for your reply I'm so relieved it's not something disastrous! I have a bowl of oyster shell out for them at all times so hopefully all will be well :)

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If chickens don't eat enough oyster shell, there will be calcium deficiencies. There are better calcium supplements for absorption such as calcium gluconate and pantothenate that can be found. Of course, calcium will not be utilized without vitamin D3, so I suggest using a good poultry vitamin-mineral supplement in water 2-3 days a week, or according to manufacturer's directions. Calcium gluconate liquid can be found, labeled for cattle, at most feed stores. An addition of that at 1 tablespoon per gallon of water in addition to vitamins may help. Chickens drink less in cold weather, so some supplements formulated for egg quality by adding to feed can be used. Calcivet and Calcibird are a few I can think of off hand:
    http://www.thebirdcottage.com/s-calcivet.asp

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]that would scare me away from hens and eggs forever - looks like the worm that devoured Cleveland.

8. em530

Oct 13, 2014
    I know what you mean I was slightly horrified when I found it :)

9. em530

Oct 13, 2014
    Thank you for your reply, my chickens are on a multi vitamin supplement that is in their water, hopefully it was just a one off as my chickens get ready to lay but if not I shall definitely look up them calcium supplements :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by