What one of our hens laid (seriously)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smallflock3, Sep 9, 2010.

1. smallflock3

smallflock3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    We have 2 Golden Comets (16 months old) and one ISA brown (about 3 years old) in one coop that share the same nesting basket. One of the Golden Comets had been laying soft shell eggs and had gotten pretty sick off and on passing yolk in her feces. She had also had a prolapsed oviduct many weeks before that went back in on its own. I took her to the Vet and they said she was fine. My ISA brown who doesn't lay regularly had problems also passing eggs but after a few warm soaks was OK. The other Golden Comet who lays regularly has halted laying as she is in full molt. We had a pretty hot summer so I know this didn't help them. I am posting a picture or two (blurry as taken with my phone) of what we found in the basket a week or 2 ago. It really shocked us and makes my husband sick because I have it wrapped up in the refrigerator. It looks like a piece of chicken, almost like a large chicken nugget. Has anyone seen this before or anything like it. The quarter in the background is for scale. I swear this is what came out of one of them, which one I don't know and it had a small amount of yolk or sticky substance on it. The 3 hens are doing fine now. I've been giving the comet that was sick a little yogurt and some liquid vitamin D3 solution and is has helped her a lot. They are laying eggs now, some with rough texture but I figured this was from calcium.

[​IMG]
    [/img][​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by