1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what ontario predator eats peanut butter and breaks have a heart traps r

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by animals1981, Mar 27, 2012.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    really easy to get at it ? anyone know ?

bran new hav a heart traps designed for coons and cats?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have heard many a story about large coons breaking those traps. I just bought one myself last night so I hope its not true.

3. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    would a fisher cat do it? would they want the peanut butter ?

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Black Bears

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    x2

If you could post up a shot of what is left of the trap, it might be useful as a `diagnostic'.

Our oldest Havahart is a model 1079, in constant use since 1997. (coons so big they had to roll on their backs and fold themselves over in order to turn around inside the trap). It is missing the stamped metal plate that the carrying handle extended through but, the only really damage is a few bent bars from my forgetting to use the cheap .22 ammo to pith the vermin.

Maybe invest in a good game cam to get some definitive info.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    bears dont exist this close to the city

i returned the trap and got my money back

i have seen a fisher cat tho

7. Gallus Sapien

Gallus Sapien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Wisconsin

x3

A fisher is a powerful animal and will even prey on small dogs and any house cat here in WI. However, they could not "destroy" a Havahart trap...In my opinion. Nor do I think a Badger or a 30 lbs. coon could. You would be surprised where bears roam here in WI. How close do you live to the city? In the city? A picture of the trap would be nice. Was it damaged from within...I mean from the animal's escape, or from the outside...such as the door closed and the animal still wanted to eat the bait? I am glad you got your money back. You should reinvest in another trap (bigger) because if it was a fisher it will return and it will "eat" chicken wire to get at your birds. They tend to roam more than coyotes and fox so it might not be back for awhile, but you should be prepared when it does. Good luck!

8. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Dogs? Large dogs can destroy them.

9. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Just because you don't see them, or 'people say' does not mean they are not there. I have spotted one near my home, a juvenile, One neighbor
    refuses to believe me, two others, not surprised. We are just outside Richmond Va. we are close to the river though.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Game cam, and flour sprinkled on the ground (so you can see the tracks left).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by