1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What other birds can be housed with Chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LuvingPaws, Aug 14, 2011.

1. LuvingPaws

LuvingPaws New Egg

May 26, 2011
    I currently have two male guinea fowl I have to get rid of because they are too noisy and for the obvious reason that they won't lay eggs. I live in a small town, with rather close neighbors, however chicken and other fowl are legal as long as they are not males or crow loudly. The coop I built has a completely enclosed outdoor run, so any flighted birds will not fly into my neighbors yard. I have three New Hampshire Reds and since I have to get rid of the guineas, I would really like to get two other birds to add diversity to our flock. There is a roost in the outside run and we would like to incorporate birds that will fly and utilize the roost. What other species can we house with the chickens? We are open to researching any egg-laying species.

Thanks!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Sparrows seem to do well. I notice them in my feeders all the time, and I've got the fattest dove you've ever seen. The greedy thing can barely fly. It's so big it looks like a pigeon.

Ducks are too messy with their water to be confined in a small area with chickens. Geese don't like to be crowded by other species and the chickens wouldn't enjoy huddling in the corner to stay out of their way.

Perhaps a few more chickens of a completely different color?

3. Chickens&Ducks

Chickens&Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Virginia
    We housed our dirty, stinky, lovely, adorable ducks with our chickens for a short time once they outgrew their brooder and their house wasn't built. They got along fine but we didn't allow them access to pools of water at night time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by