1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What other birds do you process?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Raiquee, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Raiquee

Raiquee Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    Hello [​IMG]

Just curious what other birds you process other than chickens? I'm expecting to get a lot of ducks, turkeys and geese. I have a bit more interest in people that process ostrich/emu/rhea...Would like to know live weights vs hanging weight vs freezer weight. Also cuts and the like. However, feel free to comment about any bird you process (weights, age you butcher, etc) And pictures are ALWAYS welcome!

Right now, I don't process anything but the occassional sassy roo at the babysitters house [​IMG] We are hoping to do meaties, ducks, maaaybe quail. I hope to barter with others for turkey and such.

What about you guys?

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Probably not what you want, but I process any and everything we can hunt - birdwise is grouse, goose, duck, turkey; other stuff is rabbit, deer, and probably other critters I'm not thinking of. I've not processed wild boar, bear or elk - but just because I haven't had a chance to get those critters! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  3. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chirping

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I don't raise anything at the moment, but when I do, the plan is for dual purpose chickens as well as turkeys. maybe geese and ducks. I also plan on having a milk cow and a couple of milk goats. I would process any male offspring of those. Otherwise, the only other things I process are what I hunt (mostly grouse, but only because I can not devote enought time for hunting larger game, although, if the opportunity presented itself when I am out, I will take that opportunity to harvest a legal buck (deer). I have also processed fish that I caught in the past, but that is a quick and easy operation.

4. Raiquee

Raiquee Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    I will take any responces! I am intrested in what people process for their family [​IMG]

My husband is new to hunting, and has processed one deer, some pheasant, some dove, rabbits, and a multitude of fish.

We don't have birds either, but we plan on having chickens (meaties), and also ducks. We also plan on having goats and sheep. Goats for milk, sheep for lambs/milk. We also plan on buying a calf and raising, and buying weaner pigs to raise and slaughter. Depending on how much land we get, we might even get a milk cow, rent a bull, and slaughter offspring. We will see [​IMG]

Anyone else?

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Does a 30lb wild Tom count? I was on my home from shopping with 14 YR old DD-when this massive turkey ran out into road-long sotry short I killed it:-( It was huge! Well I thought of the meat that could still be good considering I hit it in just the right position not to damage the breast meat. grabbed the box of garbage bags I just bought stuck it in it and brought it home to cut the breast out-12 lbs of breasts! yummy-My family now thinks I am mental but hey they ate and loved it!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  6. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chirping

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I'd do the same thing. Wife would think it was disgusting, until she smelled it cooking [​IMG]

7. We eat quail, pheasant, chicken, ducks, guinea, geese, turkeys. One of the reasons we raise what we do is variety.

Steve

8. ladyfarmer10

ladyfarmer10 In the Brooder

May 28, 2010
    alabama
    Quote:I bet that was some Good"Roadkill" LOL

Sorry that was to good to pass up

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  9. Raiquee

Raiquee Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    Sonew) good score! Lucky to have just bought garbage bags, eh? I would have done the same thing, while going "ew ew ew ew!" the entire time. I'm a girl, I get to be dainty a little bit, right? right?! [​IMG]

DH always tells me that if a deer jumps in front of his yota (toyota) to hit it. He hates the crap out of his car (it's new and recalls and such) and wants to put it to "good" use. He'd never do that, I know him too well! I wouldn't either!

Steve) what type of quail do you raise? Whats the average dress weight on them?

10. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:I'm interested in this as well!!

for us, *for now* it's just freedom rangers and french guinea fowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: