1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What other breed is this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by s6bee, May 7, 2008.

1. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I just got back from the store with my new chicks. They are all supposed to be RIR pullets. The wing feather test says they all are girls. However I'm wondering if I got another breed too? I have 3 of each kind. They were supposed to get extra RIR & Golden Comets. But they got some other type too in the mix at the store, so did they really get the breeds they said they would. Help me figure out what I have please!

They both are of reddish coloring, one has distinct stripe on head and back and is darker. The other is much lighter ( But not yellow ) with a VERY faint dot on head. No stripes on back.

Any clue?
    Sorry about quality, I can try taking more later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Any ideas??

3. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    The darker one is a RIR not sure about the other one though.

4. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    They look like my red sex link/golden comets at that age.

[​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]

5. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    This is what my rir looked like at that age -

[​IMG]

6. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Quote:Thanks Chickenboy, I did a quick look on the internet, and I have to be honest, I've seen both labled as RIR. ( those with stripe and w/o ) . Oh so confusing. Well, can anyone tell me about the comet's then? They are sex linked right?

Thanks

7. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Okay please do not laugh at me but can someone please explain the wing feather test to tell roo's from hens on 3 1/2 week old supposed to be pullets but I am starting to wonder on 2 of them. The combs on 2 of my Americaunas are beginning to look a little pinker then my Buffs and I am getting worried. I do not want Roo's but I am getting attached to them. Please give me any help in decideing Which they may be. Please tell me the feather sexing way. I have been looking for wattles and none yet that I can tell. Also my Americaunas and Buffs are the same age supposedly but the Americaunas are quite a bit bigger and I thought the Buffs were supposed to be the bigger ones. They are eating start and grow, with plenty for all of them and fresh water, and all get along and there are no competitions for food but the Amer.'s are bigger. Does that make sense? Okay, stop snickering at the new mom and please help woth my questions if you can. Thanks Trudy [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  8. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    No question is too silly. I am fairly new to all of this too so please don't take it as the gospel. Anyway, your chicks may be too old to do the test now, but as day olds you gently take the wing and spread it out to see the tips of the feathers. They say pullets have a second row of shorter feathers and the roos have feathers of all equal length. I am not sure if this applies to all breeds. I also did the "hold them gently by the head" test, which I just heard about yesterday. Supposedly, you hold the chick by the neck/head by making a ring with your thumb and index finger. If they fight, roo, if they hang quietly, pullet. I read that here and folks said it's been very acurate. We'll see?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by