What other Countries have you Traveled to?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by welsummerchicks, Sep 19, 2010.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I was thinking about it after seeing that video of the kid in traffic in Turkey!

Has anyone here been to a very, very different sort of country from your home country?

For example any Americans gone to countries in Eastern Europe? Asia? India? Africa? South America? Gone to a home country of your ancestors, or your spouse's ancestors?

What was it like?

What sort of experiences did you have, and how did you feel about it? What differences from your home country, did you see? How did it make you feel about your home country?

I don't have any 'agenda' in asking, I just thought it would be interesting to hear people's experiences.

It's been a long time since I traveled, but I did some time ago, travel a lot. I found other very different countries fascinating, but I was always very thankful to come home.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Canada: The Niagara Falls side.

Mexico: Tijuana- nuff said.
    Guaymas... nice
    Cancun: twice... Love the Moon Palace, Tulum, Chichen Itza, Isla de Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, many other places too numerous to mention.
    I wouldn't go there now. Too dangerous for Americans.

Panama: Airport stops all three times.. it's just a spot in the jungle.

Ecuador: Lived there for just over two years, have gone back once.
    Quito: La Cara de Dios... at just over 9,000 feet you have the four season of the year every day. 8PM to 6AM is winter
    6AM to 10AM is spring; 10AM to 5PM is summer, 5PM to 8PM is fall. I loved my 6 months there
    La Libertad: on a pennisula jutting out into the Pacific Ocean... It always smells like the Ocean there. 3 mos. there.
    Central Guayaquil: 2 months there. Ah, Guayaquil de mis Amores.
    Duran: 1 month there.... poverty. But I did take the train to Nariz del Diablo once.
    Los Ceibos: (Western Guayaquil) Nice, but I missed the life of the city
    La Atarazana: near the Guayaquil Airport... cute little suburb. Made some life time friends there.
    I traveled from Guayaquil to Machala, Pasaje and Santa Rosa, to Milagro and from Duran to Riobamba, Latacunga and on to Quito.
    From Quito I got to know Cayambe, Ibarra, Otavalo and points in between.
    From Libertad, points northward along the Pacific Coast through a rain forest national park to Jipijappa, Manta and Quevedo.

I never got to see Puyo or Chone or Esmeraldas or Loja or the Galapagos.

Perhaps next trip.

I have a son in Germany now. And one in Sekesferhervar, Hungary.

3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    DH and I took a trip a few years back from Ireland to Tunisia. It was interesting because we got to see loads of things like the place of the star wars movie set. We saw folk living in caves and Roman ruins and mosques. We learned a lot about the kind of life there from our guide. The girls didn;t seem to have much of a choice as to what they did. They did not go to the coffee bars but all the men did - it was odd not seeing girls chatting over Coffee like we do here. The men sat around with their Hubbly bubbly - !!!
    That wasn;t coffee!

We found there were a lot of Beggers and begging going on and you had to be very careful of that. They would sometimes stand in your way if you went into a shop to try to intimidate you into buying things. Sometimes it was a bit frightening. When we went to the museum if we left the main group we were followed. Even the Museum Guards asked us for money. It was a beautful place with lovely things to see and experience like the salt flats and the lovely villages. But I am also well aware of life off the tourist trail and we saw loads of piles of rubbish everywhere when we took a coach trip outside the tourist hotel areas. Yeah I was glad to get home - it was a good experience but I certainly wouldn;t want to live there. We also went to Turkey that was much the same kind of attmosphere.

When we went to Fortaventura I must say I really enjoyed that in comparison. I didn;t want to come home it was lovely and I sooo enjoyed the lovely weather golden beaches and clear water with loads of fish! I loved the Hotel and getting my food cooked for me and our room cleaned everyday. Although this happened in the other countries I felt safer in that part of Spain. I did not feel the fear I had in the other places especially being a white christian woman in a prodominantly muslim country - I did feel vaulnerable and didn;t like being harassed for money and followed a lot!!!!

Oesdog -

4. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Elba, Holland...lived out of country for three years...loved it all...

5. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Mexico several times. Now I live in Panama, been here for almost 9 years now.

6. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    We live one hour from Canada, so been there lots. Went to China a year and a half ago to adopt. Started out in Harbin (think Siberia---15 degrees) and ended our trip in the tropics. Culture shock all the way. No disrespect, no teen pregnancy but still a scarry place. Thank god I took coffee, it was terrible there till I got to southern china and found starbucks!! I did have my eggs there. Over easy smothered in soy sauce(actually really good). No I did not try the 1000 yr eggs or whatever they were. Everyone was really nice. People on the streets stopped to chat and practice their english. Squatty potties are disgusting. Did we eat mystery meat--yes. No it did not taste like chicken, beef or pork but with enough sauce you can eat anything. Yes those were worms on the eggplant but I did not tell the guys. Crunchy noodles! Yes China was interesting, No im not going back anytime soon.

7. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I grew up in Japan for seven years of my childhood, and have always traveled. I think I've been to 19 countries now, but I'd have to write them down to count. I learn something new every place I go. Although I apprecieate what we have here, I also know that people can be so full of joy and kindness no matter how they live. Sometimes we loose sight of that, and what is really important. One of my favorite places was Iceland, Belize was high on the list, and Russia and Lithuania were facinating. Someday I hope to make it to Australia and New Zealand, and hopefully India. And Thailand.

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I've been to:

Canada
    Mexico
    Ecuador
    Peru
    England
    France
    Netherlands
    Belgium
    Italy
    East Germany (showing my age)
    West Germany
    Czechoslovakia
    through Austria

For me, Ecuador and Peru were the most different culturally. I think for a middle-class American, the poverty of a third world country is shocking. I had never seen a begger or a homeless person before that trip. I was only a highschool student, and from small town Alaska. The extreme wealth I saw in Ecuador was shocking as well.

East Germany was interesting as well. I was visiting the country with a group of exchange students. We were all on exchanges through International Christian Youth Exchange, and we were on an East/West visit. After the better part of a year in Germany, our language skills were fairly decent. We were meeting with members of a church youth group in East Berlin. As western church affiliated group we were doubly suspect. We had very obvious tails the entire visit, and were followed throughout our visit. There were Stazi plants in the church group we were meeting with, at least one couple from the previous group who were carrying on the hardest of long distance relationships across a hostile border, and there were a variety of different issues. Even the group could not cross into East Berlin at the same crossing. Americans had to go through "Checkpoint Charlie" and the others through a different border crossing. Czechoslovakia was a picnic by comparison.

9. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    China !!! Where I was born [​IMG]

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    ENgland
    Ireland
    Switzerland
    Italy
    Austria
    France
    Aruba
    Dominican Republic
    Canada
    Antigua

My favorite - England, without a doubt, traveled all over by myself and had a blast, twice - Nicest people, most interesting history, easy to travel around without a car, best sightseeing and best museums
    second is Ireland, both on my bucket list along with Scotland.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by