1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Other Foods Can I Feed The Little 2 Week Old Coturnix's Besides Their Normal Feed?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Coturnix Quail, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    I just want to have a little fun and make them happy! Weather its seed, or human foods even. Suggest some foods that they can eat, weather its protein, or just to spoil them! And tell me also if I should feed it often or just once in a while. Dont want them getting too fat! [​IMG] Also if I would have to mush it or anything. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I wait till three weeks to start giving treats but here are some things mine like.

Tomatoes
    Boiled egg
    Shredded carrot
    Cucumber
    Watermelon
    Peas
    Cut grass or pulled weeds (no pesticides)
    Broccoli

I also give mealworms but definitely wait til three weeks so you don't encourage toe picking. And don't forget they need grit if you give treats.

3. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Okay, thanks!!

4. geniash

geniash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    Kitchen scraps - apples, lettuce, melon, etc, different grains - chia, flax (if you want eggs to be rich in omega-3), quinoa, millet, etc. Seed heads from garden plants, mealworms (I grind them for babies until 2 weeks old - they love them).

5. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Great suggestions but be careful not to feed apple cores with seeds. Apple seeds are poisonous to birds.

Also, not sure if this is true but I have read from several people here on BYC that too much flax can cause the eggs to have a fishy taste. Again. not sure if that is true but something to keep in mind.

6. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Alrighty, thanks! Can i start feeding them thise things now?

7. geniash

geniash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    As treats/supplements yes ( I usually start when I move them outside at 3 weeks old). Their main food should still be high protein feed from the feed store.

8. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I agree with all points.

9. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Ok, thanks!! Just very eager to see how they react [​IMG]

10. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Corn, clover, dry bits from their hay bedding, watermelon, finch seed mix, puffed millet seed, chicken scratch, etc.

You should give them grit if they're getting anything other than their crumble :) it helps them digest it, can use oyster shell grit, I think also crushed baked eggshell?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by