What other genetics are in there....PICTURES OF My ROO

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ladrholman, Sep 13, 2012.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I ahve a roo from what I know is my BO roo and my BR hen.based on the coloring and that I only had one roo at the time. I will post a pic tomorrow. He was born on Good Friday this year and he is huge already!! Bigger than dad.... the only thing is I assume there is some other breed in there somewhere because he appears to have only a peacomb, unlike the typical BO or BR genetics. Any ideas??? He is beautiful. We named him Ralph.... Pic tomorrow.

Well it is tomorrow and I have pics.... though am having trouble getting them to load.....finally!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    [​IMG]
    Ralph and his hatch mate.... an americauna/buff mix. Ralph is a very big roo!!! And still only young!

[​IMG]

Ralph

[​IMG]
    Mom.... my only barred rock

[​IMG]
    Dad aka George and a couple from his haram!! Chantecler and a Americauna Roade Island mix.

So any ideas where the pea comb came from??

3. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't claim to be a genetics expert but I am learning.My guess is that the chantecler hen that you have posted a pic of,she is probably the mom of your bird.She may be a barred bird covered by white????That is just my guess.Hopefully someone with more expertise will help you.I have seen pics of a buff orpington X white orpington cross that looked just like your rooster.If you could pen her by herself and put the buff orpington rooster in so often.Mark all her eggs and see if you have anymore like your rooster hatch.Wish I could have helped you more.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It is possible that the mom wasn't the barred rock but rather one of the others. Sometimes whites have barring that isn't seen because both "bars" are white. Buff has some interesting genes in it but I doubt barring. I'd be willing to bet the mom was an Amerucana or EE.

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I will go along with that too and georgia boy was probly close but instead of the white Chantecler as the mom I'd say its the white EE(hatchery type/americana) as she would be more likely to be covering barring under the white because EE are a very mixed up type to begin with.

Now on to the rooster; see the white in his tail and slate colored shanks he too is more than likely a mix of some sort too as this is not par for BOs even hatchery types so there's something in the wood-work here you just don't see maybe a combination of 2 or more so than just one LOL

Jeff

6. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    THanks for the responses. I konw the mom was not an EE (don't have any) or my Americauna (only one egg was green*( that produced the bo/americauna girl in the pic) and only had one americauna laying) Never thought of the chanteclers.... I am not sure what the eggs was for sure...beige in color I think.
    [​IMG]

I know when he was born he was mostly dark/black with the white spot on his head.(pic above)... "mom" (who actually set the eggs) was frizzle. Based on where I got the potential parents.... there certainly could be some mixes..... not the best breeder I learned afterwards. I never knew a white hen could be barred...

7. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    another question.... how does a roade island and an americauna end up with a pure white offspring????? if this is what you call an EE.... neither her or her sister are laying yet...... I only got them around the same time the roo was hatched.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by