What (other than Coccidiosis) causes blood in droppings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Happster

Happs
Apr 5, 2020
Cloud Nine
Really need some answers here.
Got 3 chicks with blood in their droppings, and the Coccidiosis medication hasn't helped. They've had this for at least 3-4 weeks now.
All three are acting normal.

I am not feeding red food. It is not shed lining.

Since coccidiosis seems to be a quickly fatal parasitical disease, and mine have as of yet not shown any lethargy, huddling, lack of appetite, ect....what is it?

I've run out of ideas. If I don't find any more answers the only thing I can do is try and get some worming pellets and try those.

Thanks.

How old are your chickens? Have you tried to get your regular dog or cat vet let you bring in some droppings for a fecal float as a favor? That would tell you if there are worms or coccidia. Worms can cause blood in droppings. There can be resistant strains of coccidia, which might need another medication. Sulfadimethoxine and toltrazuril are 2 other medications that can treat coccidiosis.

They are almost 8 weeks now.
Our vets won't do anything.
I'll probably walk down to our feed store and try to get the wormer.
It's worth a try.
Surely they'd be in a lot worse condition if it was indeed Coccidiosis?

And thanks so much for the reply!

It doesn't look very much like blood in this.
Usually it's pretty bright red.
This was a couple days ago.
The majority of the droppings in the bedding are solid. But I still see flecks of blood.
The white is urates, not worms. I imagine the worms would be microscopic.

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_105729.jpg
    IMG_20200806_105729.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200806_105724.jpg
    IMG_20200806_105724.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 4
Garlic can be toxic to chickens if too much is given. I would get some Corid, and give them a 5-7 day treatment of that. Also get some SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer and treat each chicken with 1/4 ml per pound of weight for 5 consecutive days.

Good, I'm glad to hear there is progress. Tino is ok thanks for asking! He hasn't deliberately gone after me except when they were free ranging and I was in the woods and I made some noise at my sister that set him off lol. He ripped one of my pullets combs almost off. He will hopefully be living by himself, after I integrate my blind hens flick into the pullets of his flock, then He can live by himself. He has a weird anger with wood, just attacks it randomly. Trees, .the coop, perches, random blocks. As long as its not me, I'm cool with it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom