What out of these breeds and why?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KindOfKin, Feb 6, 2014.

1. KindOfKin

KindOfKin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Okay, I have been moving around this site for a while now collecting info, and I am ready to hear some comments on personal experience. While I fine tune my coop plans, I decided to get a head start on making the decisions on what breeds of chickens to get. Here is some info on what has narrowed my search of what breeds I took interest in: I live on just slightly more than a 1/4 acre yard in SLC. I have the ability to ad height to my fences if I absolutely have to but a less "flighty" hen is more my type. I have a dedicated section for the coop and large run, and I will be making a small wood "fence" as a kind of observed free range area when I will be out doing yard work and can keep an eye on them which will be very often, rain, snow, or shine. It gets hot, it gets cold. I am fond of brown-brownish eggs as my over all pick. Personality is a big deal to help keep the peace with my children and current pets so the friendlier the better. And of course, egg production will be the major reason to have my own flock. Not sure about my bend on processing them for meat yet, but it would be a bonus if they could also be good for that as well. Because of the size of my yard, and this being my first time with having chickens, I have decided to start with 4 hens, two each of a breed, and go from there to ensure that I dont get in over my head and most of all, making sure I am able to give the chickens the happy and proper care they deserve. And to keep my options open, just in case I find a limited availability in of certain breeds in my area, and understanding that they are living creatures with personalities that differ here and there, I have come up with these choices. Starting with my first and initial choices at the top, and going down the line with breeds that also seem to fit well into my criteria.

Barred Rock

Black Austrolorp

Buff Orpington

Wyandotte

They all seem to be noted for being friendly or at least calm and content to be chickens and just live life, and handle climate change will. I feel pretty good about getting two each of any two of these breeds. My two biggest preferences are for a calm bird with decent and consistent laying. Being that I will only be starting with 4 hens, I would like to make a choice based on good steady egg production to keep the eggs on the table. :) My coop will be able to handle well over 4 hens, since Im building to grow, so there is a chance I decide to go with 6. Do I have a pretty even selection or is there some outstanding traits in the breeds I have selected that would make a perfect fit to my criteria? Thanks in advance for your input. :)

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I've kept all of those before, all good choices for what you're describing. I would also recommend Dominiques, but I'm completely biased because they're my favorite breed, haha. You might also like speckled sussex.

1 person likes this.
  3. KindOfKin

Feb 3, 2014
    Thanks for the response. I think its cool to see so many people taking to a certain breed like you say with Dominiques. Animals have a way of finding a place in peoples lives. I feel set on those four breeds but will definitely put some searching into Dominiques and the Sussex. Thanks!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Those breeds are all proven backyard birds, they're great choices. My advice would be to get one of each! Most folks who keep chickens as pets like to be able to tell who is who, and I seriously can't tell one Barred rock or buff Orpington from another [​IMG]. You could always band them, I guess, but I like the look of different breeds together. Make that Wyandotte a gold laced bird and you'll have lots of variety.

If you only want two breeds, any two of those would do well.

5. KindOfKin

Feb 3, 2014
    Awesome! Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by